Is it possible to embed the credentials in the URL to open rstudio-server?

Pretty straightforward. rstudio-server is running at, say http://192.68.0.1:8787. Say the u/p is ruser/12345, is it possible to have this pre-filled from a URL?

I tried:

None of which appear to have worked.

In terms of security concerns, that's being handled upstream since users will have authenticated on VPN & with 2FA to get to this URL in the first place (it's part of a pod being served on JupyterLab).

Users are all told ruser and 12345, it's just a matter of convenience/saving time by having it pre-filled each time they launch the URL. Since the pods die often, there's not much convenience to Stay signed in since that particular rstudio-server process doesn't survive.

This is possible in Jupyter, where part of our Docker setup is to capture the token and pass it in like /?token=... to save users the step of keeping track of and entering a new token each time they launch.

If you are running rstudio-server PRO, and considering that you dealt with authentification outside of Rstudio, this is something that could be done with Proxy authentification.

If you are using the non-pro version, I guess this is more limited...

thanks... non-Pro for me...

Troy P was helping me out on Twitter, and pointed out the auth-none config which would seem to fit the bill?

But I didn't find any hard documentation of it & just including auth-none=1 seems to have broken my image; I suspect there's some interaction with server-user being set as jovyan to better fit with Jupyter.

Is there some way to make that work that I'm missing?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.