Is it possible to print on a physical receipt printer from a shiny app?

Hello everybody,

I'm wondering if someone has a pointer for me to investigate this topic, I'm interested in implementing receipt printing on a shiny app but I haven't managed to find anything about this on the internet. Does anybody know if this is even possible to implement?

I'm playing with the idea of developing a Point Of Sale (POS) on a Shiny App to use on a tablet, all the other needed functionalities are fairly easy to implement I can even report the emitted receipts to my country's tax authority trough an API but a physical receipt representation to hand to the client is the only functionality I'm missing.

This is a very silly app but it does print a file. It allows selecting from a set of file names, then clicking the Write button writes the unaltered file out to the app's directory and then clicking Print prints that file. I am using a Linux system, so the print command is lp. I am not sure how to do that on Windows or a Mac.

library(shiny) #  Shiny web app

ui <- fluidPage(fluidRow(selectInput("TheFile", "File", 
                                     choices = c("csv1.csv", "csv2.csv", "Dummy.csv"))),
                fluidRow(actionButton("button1", label = "Write")),
                fluidRow(actionButton("button2", label = "Print"))
              )

server <- function(input, output, session) {

myCSV <- reactive({
    read.csv(input$TheFile)
  })

observeEvent(input$button1, {
    write.csv(myCSV(), "WrittenFile.csv")
  })
  observeEvent(input$button2, {
    system2(command = "lp", "WrittenFile.csv")
  })

}

# run the app
shinyApp(ui, server)

On the client side you have a browser. Can you print a PDF or HTML page from the browser on the receipt printer?

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

The system call would only work if the printer is connected to the server so I don't think it is a practical solution, I would need to be able to print on a printer that is connected to the clients system, ideally a receipt printer connected to an android tablet via Bluetooth or wifi.

Trying to find out, I discovered that Epson receipt printers support driverless printing through a JavaScript library and also by sending XML or JSON data to the printer, so it might be possible to do it using httr. Now I have a ton of technical manuals to read to find out how.

1 Like