Is there a bug in geom_boxplot ? When the box is very short, whiskers don't always extend correctly

Is there a bug in geom_boxplot ? When the box is very short, whiskers don't always extend correctly. In this image, the lower (unlike the upper) whisker fails to extend either to 1.5 times the IQR or to the farthest data point . . .

[PS: I also see the same apparent bug at A box and whiskers plot (in the style of Tukey) — geom_boxplot • ggplot2 is the "minivan" condition in the example that uses horizontally jittered data points. The upper whisker is supposed to extend either to the one point that's above the box or to 1.5 times the IQR. It does neither.]

I believe I can answer my own question. By design, the whisker only extends to an actual data point that's less than or equal to 1.5 ties the IQR. If the only points beyond the box's edge are greater that 1.5 times the IQR from that edge, there will be no whisker.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.