Issue installing car package

Hi, I have a newbie to R and have issue in installing car package. I have tried multiple times but it seems like the installations could not work.

ERROR: dependency ‘lme4’ is not available for package ‘pbkrtest’

• removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/pbkrtest’
    Warning in install.packages :
    installation of package ‘pbkrtest’ had non-zero exit status
    ERROR: dependencies ‘pbkrtest’, ‘quantreg’, ‘rio’, ‘lme4’ are not available for package ‘car’
  • removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/car’
    Warning in install.packages :
    installation of package ‘car’ had non-zero exit status

The downloaded source packages are in
‘/private/var/folders/p3/s4wc0xpn4vdg8_txkrdqyj180000gn/T/RtmpDeoKVR/downloaded_packages’

Hi, and welcome!

Today is a bad day for we MAC users. The "dependency* packages are not downloading properly from most repos today. It should be fixed tomorrow if it's like last time.

It's probably possible to move the compressed file into your R lib and uncompress it. I was too lazy, I just ran into that and downloaded a development version instead.

Also, for future coding questions, please see the FAQ: What's a reproducible example (`reprex`) and how do I do one? Using a reprex, complete with representative data will attract quicker and more answers.

Hi, I'm a Linux user (Fedora 31) and here's what worked for me:
I ran install.packages("lme4"). First attempt did not download successfully so I tried again. The download succeeded but I got a different error message:

ERROR: failed to lock directory ‘/home/isaac/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.6’ for modifying
Try removing ‘/home/<username>/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.6/00LOCK-lme4’

I removed the directory. My next install attempt successfully installed lme4.

Subsequent installation attempt for car installed the dependency pbkrtest and finished successfully.

1 Like

Hi, and welcome!

I often do that myself! Sometimes brute force is highly underrated.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.