Issues downloading RStudio on ubuntu 22.04

Hello all,

I am currently having issues downloading RStudio. When running make install on Linux, I get the following:

panmirror:
[echo] yarn location: ../../dependencies/common/node/16.14.0/bin/yarn
[echo] panmirror location: ./lib/quarto/apps/panmirror
[exec] /usr/bin/env: ‘node’: No such file or directory

BUILD FAILED
/home/aaron/Downloads/rstudio-3c53477afb13ab959aeb5b34df1f10c237b256c3/src/gwt/build.xml:173: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/aaron/Downloads/rstudio-3c53477afb13ab959aeb5b34df1f10c237b256c3/src/gwt/build.xml:132: exec returned: 127

Total time: 0 seconds
make[2]: *** [src/gwt/CMakeFiles/gwt_build.dir/build.make:2672: src/gwt/timestamp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:427: src/gwt/CMakeFiles/gwt_build.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:156: all] Error 2

Any ideas on what would cause this and how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just download the .deb file and install it by double-clicking it? You can find the .deb installation file here:

Just download the file for your version of Ubuntu.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, but I am actually trying to build from source from GitHub but for some odd reason it won't completely build and I think all the files are in the right place. Not sure if it's issue with the GitHub repo or not.

I had to take a brief tour of the codebase earlier this year. It has more and varied dependencies than a lottery winner has long lost friends.

The evolution of a software ecosystem like RStudio is in the direction of ever increasing complexity, the way that much of nature follows. Code that may have become baked in after 15 years can’t be removed even if that is not how anyone would do it today. There may lurk comments by long departed programmers like “I don’t remember what Beth told me why this block is here—all I know is that if I comment it out I get a seg fault.” And it’s not just the code that Posit creates itself, it’s also all the libraries and platforms and their version dramas.

Even if I still felt up to debugging as well as I did at my best, I would gratefully receive the binary and not wade into the swamp.

1 Like

My day was just made!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.