Issues in installation of dev version of ggmap library in R

I am using RStudio to with R 3.5.2 installed in my Windows 7 machine. I am trying to use ggmap to load google map based on certain parameters but this fails because the authentication key is not provided and a 403 error as below occurs

Error in download.file(url, destfile = tmp, quiet = !messaging, mode = "wb") : cannot open URL 'http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=29.763284,-95.363271&zoom=4&size=640x640&scale=2&maptype=hybrid&sensor=>false' In addition: Warning message: In download.file(url, destfile = tmp, quiet = !messaging, mode = "wb") : cannot open URL 'http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=29.763284,-95.363271&zoom=4&size=640x640&scale=2&maptype=hybrid&sensor=>false': HTTP status was '403 Forbidden'

A lot of posts suggests installing a dev version of ggmap after which you can use the maps API key by using save api key

register_google(key = "YOUR_API_KEY")

Thus I am trying to install the dev version using,

devtools::install_github("dkahle/ggmap")

devtools::install_github("dkahle/ggmap") Error in curl::curl_fetch_memory(url, handle = h) : schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: SEC_E_UNTRUSTED_ROOT >>(0x80090325) - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not >trusted.

any suggetsions would be nice,
Thanks
Dush

Thanks for the nice and crisp explanation,
However,
I am getting some errors on trying to install the dev version of ggmap.
on executing

devtools::install_github("dkahle/ggmap")

I get this error:

> devtools::install_github("dkahle/ggmap")
Error in curl::curl_fetch_memory(url, handle = h) : 
  schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: SEC_E_UNTRUSTED_ROOT (0x80090325) - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.

Pls note , I am running Rstudio with R3.5.2 on a windows 7 64 bit machine
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.
Dush

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.