issues when installing Devtools (Rocky Linux)

have been trying to install Devtools in Rstudio under Rocky Linux (Blue Onyx). Unfortunately this required a preview build to run successfully (see below for version).

RStudio 2022.12.0-preview+314 "Elsbeth Geranium" Preview (f3eb68a11735d56130ea51cc72f96fb6d2bb7852, 2022-11-06) for RHEL 9
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) rstudio/2022.12.0-preview+314 Chrome/102.0.5005.167 Electron/19.1.3 Safari/537.36

I'm getting the following errors when installing

** building package indices
** installing vignettes
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘openssl’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
 unable to load shared object '/home/jim/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/4.2/00LOCK-openssl/00new/openssl/libs/openssl.so':
  /home/jim/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/4.2/00LOCK-openssl/00new/openssl/libs/openssl.so: undefined symbol: FIPS_mode
Error: loading failed
Execution halted
ERROR: loading failed
* removing ‘/home/jim/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/4.2/openssl’
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘openssl’ had non-zero exit status
* installing *source* package ‘textshaping’ ...
** package ‘textshaping’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
Package fribidi was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fribidi.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
Package 'fribidi', required by 'virtual:world', not found
Using PKG_CFLAGS=
Using PKG_LIBS=-lfreetype -lharfbuzz -lfribidi -lpng
--------------------------- [ANTICONF] --------------------------------
Configuration failed to find the harfbuzz freetype2 fribidi library. Try installing:
 * deb: libharfbuzz-dev libfribidi-dev (Debian, Ubuntu, etc)
 * rpm: harfbuzz-devel fribidi-devel (Fedora, EPEL)
 * csw: libharfbuzz_dev libfribidi_dev (Solaris)
 * brew: harfbuzz fribidi (OSX)
If harfbuzz freetype2 fribidi is already installed, check that 'pkg-config' is in your
PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH contains a harfbuzz freetype2 fribidi.pc file. If pkg-config
is unavailable you can set INCLUDE_DIR and LIB_DIR manually via:
R CMD INSTALL --configure-vars='INCLUDE_DIR=... LIB_DIR=...'
-------------------------- [ERROR MESSAGE] ---------------------------
<stdin>:1:10: fatal error: hb-ft.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

All other packages included afterwards (textshaping, credentials, httr, ragg, gert, gh, pkgdown, usethis) then fail with non-zero exit status.

All packages and R-studio itself are all up to date, as is my OS. I've read that the issues with harfbuzz freetype2 fribidi were addressed in an update (although presumably not with this preview build), and I've confirmed that harfbuzz freetype2 fribidi is installed on my system.

On Ubuntu 22.04, the openssl dependency became a problem. Try installing the system library, however that is done. Otherwise if it is there, Check $PATH

I've checked $PATH, and got the following:

/home/jim/.local/bin:/home/jim/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/var/lib/snapd/snap/bin:/usr/local/ssl/bin:/usr/local/ssl/bin

I'm not sure how to install the system library unfortunately

Installing a shared library is like installing other Linux packages. There are various installers. On Ubuntu, I would use sudo apt install PACKAGE but I don't know how its done in the Redhat world. But it looks like it might be there but somehow not what is expected (the undefined symbol: FIPS_mode). Check that the file exists from the terminal?

ls -l /home/jim/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/4.2/00LOCK-openssl/00new/openssl/libs/openssl.so

and if it exists see if the read-execute permission are set to allow any system user to access, besides just jim

I've now tried installing OpenSsl package on its' own outside of Devtools (having changed the permisssions of /R/... to fully read & write)

I'm still getting the following errors

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘openssl’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
 unable to load shared object '/home/jim/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/4.2/00LOCK-openssl/00new/openssl/libs/openssl.so':
  /home/jim/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/4.2/00LOCK-openssl/00new/openssl/libs/openssl.so: undefined symbol: FIPS_mode
Error: loading failed
Execution halted

At which point, the openssl folder is deleted. As such, the folder

.../00LOCK-openssl/00new/openssl/libs/openssl.so

doesn't exist

I do however have openssl installed on my wider system

$ rpm -q openssl
openssl-3.0.1-43.el9_0.x86_64

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.