Keyboard shortcut for cleaning global environment

Hi,
I would like to set a keyboard shortcut for clening global environment in RStudio, but without that confirmation about hidden variables.
Just a ks that is cleaning everything when I run it. Ho do I do it ?

There is ctrl+shift+F10 that restarts R starting a fresh session. It will delete all variables in the environment, but also all plots etc.

You can also find it in the menu Session>Restart R.

Hi, this is not what I want, it takes too long. I juzt would like to clean GE with single keyboard shortcut.

I don't know of another keyboard shortcut (as restarting the session offers a better "blank state"), but it shouldn't be too hard to write it as an add-in.

The only option in base RStudio to clear the GE (aside from the broom) would be to type the following into RStudio's console;

rm(list = ls())

How do I do it to assign a keyboard shortcut to this command ? Is it possible at all ?

It is not possible within RStudio. Any macro/shortcut would have to be facilitated through your OS or a third-party application.

Alex provided a link, Rstudio Add-ins can be assigned shortcuts, and your r code to clear objects could be surfaced by that route
rstudio.github.io/rstudioaddins/#registering-addins

Restarting would really be the best. If this is taking too long you are likely restoring your previous .RData workspace on startup, which is not a good idea. If that's the case just change the Workspace options from the Global Options menu.

2 Likes

On my machine, Restarting the R session takes about 10 seconds (I don't restore .RData, but I source some files in my .First() function which takes a few of those seconds), while rm(list = ls()) is instantaneous.
The biggest difference is that rm(list=ls()) clears only the Global Environment (including functions): it leaves any additional libraries and any variables in environments other than the Global Environment loaded and unchanged.