Large datasets don't show variables with down arrow in Environment

I think I've found a small bug in RStudio Cloud. I don't have this problem on my desktop, so perhaps it's a RAM issue? If you have a large-ish dataset loaded in (e.g. diamonds) and try to click that little blue down arrow next to the dataset name in the Environment tab, it does not show the variables. With a smaller dataset (e.g. mtcars) the button works fine.

I did some experimentation to try to discover where the limit lies,

It appears to make the distinction at 512 Kb. So, my guess is it's not a "bug" but a "feature" as they likely have coded it in such a way that showing it in the environment requires making another copy of the data.

Ah, that's good to know! It seems like it should be possible to do that sort of little preview even for larger datasets, so perhaps I should make a feature request. Not sure where to do it, though. I don't see a github repo for the cloud product. Maybe I'll tag in @stevenolen.

Nice find! This is a bug in the version of RStudio used in rstudio.cloud. It's addressed in more recent versions of RStudio.

1 Like

We haven't set rstudio.cloud projects to use said versions yet as jonathan mentions! I'll store this internally and let you know when we've upgraded!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.