Latest dev version (1.2.907) not displaying correctly


#1

Hi all, I'm having an issue with the latest dev version of RStudio (see screenshot). I know it's a dev version, so not expecting a fix necessarily but just want to give a heads up. Is there any other information which may be useful to try resolving this? I know there's the diagnostics menu but don't know what would be helpful.

The problem should be self evident from the screenshot, but here's just a brief description: upon opening, everything is very blurry. Instead of being presented with the usual > in the console, there's a question mark. I need to press enter to get back to >. The toolbar is missing but I can still access it if I click where it ordinarily would be. When I access the settings where I click is actually offset, such that I have to click below where I want. For example, to access 'Appearance' in options, I'd have to click 'Pane Layout'.

I'm on a Dell XPS 13, 4k screen and I suspect that might be the issue. I tried reducing the resolution as well as messing around with the DPI settings, and nothing seemed to work. Restarting doesn't help either. Reverting back to the normal RStudio release is fixes the problem.

Finally, I've just tried the latest daily release (1.2.911) and have the same issue.


#2

Does changing the rendering engine help at all? You might try switching to software rendering. In Tools -> Global Options -> General -> Advanced (Note that you'll have to restart the IDE after changing this setting)

Somewhat bizarrely, one user reported that switching from True Color (32bit color) to High Color (16bit color) resolved a similar issue:

Can you share more information about your system configuration, just so we can start cataloguing information on what types of systems are affected? What kind of graphics card does your system have?


#3

Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply. Your suggestion regarding the rendering engine fixed the problem. For some reason I can't change the option from 32 to 16bit; those options appear to be inaccessible to me, so I couldn't try that fix. However, from reading the linked thread it seems like the problem may have something to do with integrated graphics cards?

Unfortunately, I am faced with another minor but annoying issue. After changing the rendering engine, when I load up RStudio, it doesn't maximise and clicking the icon in the toolbar does not open the program either. I have to right click the preview and click maximise to open it (see screenshot). When I do that, everything is loaded in RStudio and appears to work fine though. I've tried rebooting to no avail.

Finally, here's a bit more info about my system. If you need any other details, let me know:

Laptop: XPS 13 9350
Procesor: Intel i5-6200U CPI
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 520 (integrated)
Resolution: 3200 x 1800 (but I tried 1920 x 1080 and had same problem).
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
R Version: 3.5.1
RStudio Version: 1.2.911

It might be noteworthy that I also have a second monitor hooked up, the Dell U2412M, but I had the original problem when I unplugged that monitor.