Latest RStudio has completely borked the RMarkdown experience, Multiple Glaring Bugs

"Elsbeth Geranium" Release (7d165dcf, 2022-12-03) for Windows

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) RStudio/2022.12.0+353 Chrome/102.0.5005.167 Electron/19.1.3 Safari/537.36

Bugs on my Windows 10 PC:

1. Rendering a RMarkdown documents takes several seconds to start up. The render tab is blank for several seconds before rendering.

2. When rendering to HTML using "Preview in Windows", the preview window is lagging when resized, it takes several seconds to reflow the document when the window is resized.

3. When the preview window from rendering a R Markdown document to HTML is open, it is no longer possible to open .R files or .Rmd files, files that by default have been set to open in RStudio. Instead of opening RStudio, you are taken to the preview window and nothing happens.

4. When rendering to PDF using "Preview in Windows", it no longer renders in Sumatra, instead it uses the default PDF reader (this is a much worse experience, since most people's default is Adobe, which does not allow for rendering while the document is open). EDIT: I found that you now need to set the option in the Sweave section to use the in-built viewer, which is now the Firefox PDF viewer (not obvious), but Sumatra should be brought back.

I also have a Windows 11 PC, and when testing this, the 1st and 2nd bugs don't occur.

I also reverted to the previous version of RStudio and everything is fine.

The best way to report a bug is by formally filing an issue on the GitHub repository (if one doesn't exist already for the specific problem).

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.