Paid / Indianapolis, IN / Full-Time
We are developing prototype tools in a number of business areas for our work. These include tools for advanced statistical computing, such as network meta-analysis, multiplicity-control methods, trial simulation, and Bayesian applications; tools for data visualization, including dynamic and interactive data displays; tools for data integration, processing, and review; and tools for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Applications are primarily to support clinical development but also include tools to support our non-clinical research.
The ideal candidate for this role is expected to be proficient with creating Shiny applications while adhering to production-quality standards. Familiarity with R packages to help in this process such as golem is preferred. In addition, the Shiny apps created will need to interface with other technologies in R such as R-Markdown reports, interfacing with web APIs, and data processing using the tidyverse family of packages.
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
The Advisor – Prototype Developer is responsible for leading the identification, development, and implementation planning for tools that enable the analytical and digital transformation strategies of the Statistics and Data & Analytics organizations. The Advisor – Prototype Developer is responsible for guiding and prototyping tools that will be used to support key decision-making in relation to clinical data processing, review, analysis, and reporting. This will require an in-depth understanding of business needs related to the clinical development data flow, as well as building active and long-term trusted relationships with statisticians and clinical data representatives.
Prototype Tool Development
- Independently identify key scientific questions/issues; design and implement solutions to advance the portfolio
- Lead large-scale, cross-Business Unit/Therapeutic Area projects or programs with high complexity
- Provide technical leadership and stewardship for the development of innovative working prototypes and software/analytic solutions that address clinical development business needs
- Leverage deep technical knowledge of advanced computing languages (e.g., R, Python and their associated packages) to develop and test new ideas and/or apply innovative solutions with intuitive and efficient user interfaces that meet end-user needs and that enable robust evaluation of prototype concepts and analytic solutions
- Use agile concepts and modern software development standard processes to turn ideas or concepts into working solutions
- Maintain proficiency with respect to statistical programming and with respect to statistical or data analytical methodology and in applying new and varied methods
- Handle a portfolio of transformative projects to broaden and strengthen the analytical capabilities of the Statistics and Data & Analytics functions
- Lead and run the assignment, coordination, and oversight of project team members, volunteers, and vendors and their responsibilities and activities
- Support and track key prototype deliverable milestones such as initiation, planning, coordination, risk management, and implementation to develop and deliver effective and informed prototypes on-time
- Integrate multi-functional and/or external information and apply pioneering technical knowledge to drive data-driven decision-making
- Effectively apply knowledge of applicable internal, external and regulatory requirements/expectations
- Perform work in full compliance with assigned curricula and be responsible for following all applicable corporate, medical, local, and departmental policies, procedures, processes, and training
- Build a diverse multi-functional and internal/external network in order to identify, define, prioritize, and champion innovative initiatives to deliver solutions that align with and further Lilly’s analytical and digital transformation strategy
- Identify and champion good case studies, sharing best practices in the use of advanced computing methods
- Influence, guide, and develop Lilly’s coding strategy for implementing R and other advanced programming languages
- Focus on defining analytic solutions that drive a sustainable, scalable strategy within the Data and Analytics organization by creating re-usable code, by enabling automation, seamless data delivery, and decreased work effort, and by continuously seeking and implementing feedback
- Anticipate and resolve key technical, operational or business problems and risk that impact the Statistics and Data and Analytics organizations
- Provide technical input within the functional R community and to other R experts to deliver solutions and support
- Actively engage in multi-functional initiatives and shared learning for the benefit of the Statistics and Data and Analytics organizations
- Represent Lilly at external meetings (e.g., R/Pharma, RStudio Conference, and useR!), to develop and influence industry standards, processes, and tools
- PhD degree in Informatics, Bioinformatics, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Biostatistics, or in a related field, or Master’s degree with 10+ years of programming and system validation experience in the clinical, pharmaceutical, biotech, CRO or regulatory agency sectors
- Demonstrated strong R programming experience
- Demonstrated strong programming experience and proficiency with R, R Shiny, and R Markdown in building advanced Shiny apps
- Experience leading a sophisticated, multi-functional technical project or in developing a vision and multi-phase transformation map for technical innovation for an organization
- Knowledge and experience with statistical and analytical techniques
- Experience with software development standard processes (e.g., using agile principles and tools, with good modular and reusable coding practices, focusing on rapid delivery and iterative refinement), version control systems (e.g., GIT), and user interface design principles
- High learning agility with a focus on new trends in technology and business application/process improvement
- Demonstrable ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Demonstrated strong leadership and superb communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Domestic and international travel may be required
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our employee resource groups (ERGs) offer strong support networks for their members and help our company develop talented individuals for future leadership roles. Our current groups include: Africa, Middle East, Central Asia Network, African American Network, Chinese Culture Network, Early Career Professionals, Japanese International Leadership Network (JILN), Lilly India Network, Organization of Latinos at Lilly, PRIDE (LGBTQ + Allies), Veterans Leadership Network, Women’s Network, Working and Living with Disabilities. Learn more about all of our groups.
As a condition of employment with Eli Lilly and Company and its subsidiaries in the United States and Puerto Rico, you must be fully COVID-19 vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination satisfactory to the company (subject to applicable law).