Lintr bot duplicate comments

travis-ci

I get lintr-bot comments in triplicate on PRs, presumably from tests running on travis on three R builds. (example) Is there an easy way to fix this?

test-lint.R:

context("lints")
test_that("Package is lint free", {
  skip_on_appveyor()
  lintr::expect_lint_free(
    linters = lintr::with_defaults(camel_case_linter = NULL,
                                   line_length_linter = NULL,
                                   object_usage_linter = NULL)
  )
})

.travis.yml:

language: r
sudo: false
cache: packages
dist: trusty

env:  
r:
  - oldrel
  - release
  - devel
matrix:
  allow_failures:
  - r: devel

r_packages:
  - covr

addons:
  apt:
    packages:
      - libnlopt-dev

after_success:
  - Rscript -e 'covr::codecov()'

I think you will need to restrict running lintr to running only on one build. Generally I now recommend running lintr separately, outside of the package tests. You can run it with something like

before_script:
  R -e 'lintr::lint_package()'

Thanks @jimhester. Since .lintr is in .Rbuildignore, settings there don't get picked up on Travis. Is your suggested way to specify options in the lint_package call in .travis.yml?

.lintr is still available on travis as long as you don't run it from the built package, e.g. in the tests. The working directory is just a git clone of the repo, so it has all commited files.

Oh, that's helpful on the Travis environment, thanks. For what it's worth, this ended up feeling like more trouble than it was worth -- was getting repeated comments for each commit within a PR and object_length_linter (which I don't adjust anywhere) was behaving differently in and out of testthat -- so I fell back to running tests in testthat on travis and just turning lintr-bot off. Thanks for your help, and for the tool.