Linux/Debian 9/RStudio asking for password

trying to launch R Studio and I am being asked for a password, of which I never set one up and therefore cannot get past this prompt:

mnmlovers62610@penguin:~$ sudo gdebi rstudio-server-1.2.1335-amd64.deb

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for mnmlovers62610:

This is not related to RStudio but to your operating system, you are trying to install a program as super user with the sudo command and the OS is asking you for your user password to allow it.

1 Like

thank you for your comment and I apologize in advance for being code illiterate.
I am able to remove sudo from some commands but other commands like dpkg will not work without sudo, and when adding sudo goes back to the password prompt. I have tried my operating system password but that doesnt work. What else could the password be?

Again this is not related to RStudio or even R but to Debian so this is not the best place for asking this things. If your system password doesn't allow you to use sudo then maybe your user doesn't have superuser privileges, so you would have to ask your system administrator or ask for guidance in a linux forum.

We can't possibly know what your password is

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.