Linux server for Shiny

Hello,

Our R program is a pipeline that calls some open source programs installed in the user PCs. I want to install RStudio with the Shiny package and host the application in the Shiny server. Would our server program be able to run the programs in the PC. IS there any configuration to be done on the server so that when the R program calls the PC programs the path to run the programs is available to the server?

I think this falls in the realm of technically possible, but the amount of work that it would take is highly unlikely to be worthwhile. That said, it may be that I'm misreading your intent. Are these Windows-only programs that can't be installed on the Linux server? Can you share the name of the program?

Thank you. These are the programs that run in the PC: MGFCreate, OpenMS, Glazer.... Would it be easier to install the programs in a network server?

If you install them on the same server as the Shiny server, you could use the programs directly from R (presumably the same way you do currently on local PCs). Other methods would likely require additional work to tie Shiny server in to output from other computers.

I am trying to install R for Ubuntu 17.10
I am using sudo su
echo "deb http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/bin/linux/ubuntu trusty/ #enabled-manually" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
exit
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E084DAB9
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev

But it does not work. I cannot modify the /etc/apt/sources.list file directly because it is read only. What should I do?

Thanks

Do you know if these programs are single threaded, or multi threaded. I am trying to think if there could be any conflicts if users try to access the programs remotely outside of the R program. I know that the open source version of RStudio server and Shiny server is single threaded, therefore the user requests will be queued and a single user will have to wait for the previous user in the queue to finish running the R program before he can get his request granted.

apt-get update
gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key E084DAB9
gpg -a --export E084DAB9 | sudo apt-key add -
OK
echo "deb http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/linux/ubuntu xenial/" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get install r-base r-base-dev

I am using ubuntu 17.10
Is there, may be, a more updated source to install R for ubuntu 17.10?