Loading a package that was installed from private Bitbucket repo in Docker

I'm trying to run a small test to learn how to install packages that reside within our private Bitbucket repos, and use them inside of a Docker container.

However, I'm running into an error where it seems like my package is being installed properly but then I can't load it inside the container.

My Dockerfile is as follows:

FROM rocker/r-ver:4.2.1

RUN mkdir /home/analysis

ENV BITBUCKET_USER 'me'
ENV BITBUCKET_PASSWORD 'mypassword'

RUN R -e "install.packages('remotes'); \
  remotes::install_bitbucket(repo = '{org}/afp.data')"

COPY /scripts/my_script_2.R /home/analysis/my_script.R

CMD cd /home/analysis \
  && R -e "source('my_script.R')"

My script my_script.R is as follows:

library(afp.data)
cat("hello world")

The output from my build process is as follows:

$ docker build -t test .
[+] Building 260.3s (9/9) FINISHED
 => [internal] load build definition from Dockerfile                                                                                                                0.0s
 => => transferring dockerfile: 494B                                                                                                                                0.0s
 => [internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                                                                   0.0s
 => => transferring context: 2B                                                                                                                                     0.0s
 => [internal] load metadata for docker.io/rocker/r-ver:4.2.1                                                                                                       2.2s
 => [1/4] FROM docker.io/rocker/r-ver:4.2.1@sha256:84dbe29c3218221af453eca9bf95249d605920d9aa03598fcc96767242b7ea5e                                                 0.0s
 => [internal] load build context                                                                                                                                   0.1s
 => => transferring context: 339B                                                                                                                                   0.0s
 => CACHED [2/4] RUN mkdir /home/analysis                                                                                                                           0.0s
 => [3/4] RUN R -e "install.packages('remotes');   remotes::install_bitbucket(repo = '{repo}/afp.data')"                                                     254.7s
 => [4/4] COPY /scripts/my_script_2.R /home/analysis/my_script.R                                                                                                    0.1s
 => exporting to image                                                                                                                                              3.2s
 => => exporting layers                                                                                                                                             3.2s
 => => writing image sha256:3d97fc19351b518bb1fd4a0ac23d4825a052297156f6e759ad5c64135c07a451                                                                        0.0s
 => => naming to docker.io/library/test                                                                                                                             0.0s

It didn't seem like there were any errors. However when I run it with docker run test I get the following:

$ docker run test

R version 4.2.1 (2022-06-23) -- "Funny-Looking Kid"
Copyright (C) 2022 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.

Natural language support but running in an English locale

R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
Type 'contributors()' for more information and
'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.

Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

> source('my_script.R')
Error in library(afp.data) : there is no package called ‘afp.data’
Calls: source -> withVisible -> eval -> eval -> library
Execution halted

If it seems like afp.data installed without errors, why can't I load it?

Any help on troubleshooting this will be appreciated. If I can provide more information please let me know how I can do so - very new to Docker!!

Have you checked the docker R package directories? Tried a remotes for a github repo?

I tried it with remotes::install_github("hadley/emo") and it worked. Sorry, but what did you mean by the docker R package directories??

Am I right that the docker container is completely self contained? (Haven't tried it out yet.)

If so, there should be a place in the docker file system that contains libraries what was I was suggesting.

Ah right yes I guess it is self-contained - I've only come to Docker in the last 2 days!

Most of the responses online are about accessing a file system of a running container, but not one that has stopped. Tried putting a Sys.sleep() in there so I could keep the container running for a while but not seeming to get very far with it...

Will try again and get back...

I figured out the issue - I was needing the libxml2 package so I installed it with RUN apt-get update && apt-get install libxml2 prior to installing remotes.

Then everything worked fine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.