Manufacturing bof at rstudio::global

Here's a recap of some of the activity related to Manufacturing at rstudio::global(20210)

R in manufactuRing & consumeR products
Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM EST
I also wanted to share with this group that my colleague and I are organizing an industry Meetup for folks in the manufacturing and consumer products fields. We will have invited speakers from industry sharing how they're using R, what their hard lessons learned have been, best practices, and more. We hope to make it a place for networking and industry connection. Event details will be shared here: Login to Meetup | Meetup

Where in the manufacturing lifecycle are you focused? R&D, test/analysis, supply chain, market analysis, production, reliability/warranty ... And what are the challenges you face here? Are your challenges technology based or organization based?

Katie - January 21st, 8:49 AM
I'll go first! In my past, I worked in R&D, certification, and primarily reliability and failure analysis. My biggest challenge was learning and leveraging new tools. Much of the work I did could have been better automated, but given time and resource constraints, each project was often very ad hoc. R Markdown was my go-to and I am a forever-advocate for this tool!

Jim - January 21st, 8:56 AM
I've worked with telematics & IoT events in the past. Moving on to a new project in spare parts demand planning and looking at supply chain questions.

Alexander - January 21st, 8:52 AM
I focus on production and a bit of supply chain.

We have a smattering of challenges that are based both in technology and our organization.

From a technology perspective we are in the process of a digital transformation. As such we have some asymmetrical sophistication across our production sites (some are further along the digital path than others) this means we have different data streams (and granularity) coming off different groups of lines.

From an organizational perspective we have challenges around change management and follow through. Historically there has been a lot of talk and hype around data; my team now has the tasks of building credibility by ensuring the things we actually build make an impact.

Spatial Chat Discussion Starters

• Do you use CI/CD tools regularly with your R workflows?
  • Who is your customer for your data analytics and how do you get the best engagement with this audience?
  • How do you structure code reviews?
  • How are you honing and expanding your data science skills?
  • What are you excited about?
  • What are you worried about?