Mechanism to check for duplicate citations while adding citations in the preview releases

Rsudio Version 1.4.869 preview: IN Visual markdown mode I notice when we add citations using a search engine say for PMID or DOI and let the program add the entry to the BibTeX database there is no mechanism to prevent duplicate citations being added. I wonder if there are any plans to add a mechanism to prevent this from happening?
I love the direction the IDE is going though.

Best regards
Vivek

Thanks for the suggestion - you're right in the case of PMID or DOI we could be deduplicating these and re-using the citekey and entry that already exist in the bibliography. I'm going to take a closer look at this - thanks again!

Charles

Another suggestion: I notice if you use visual markdown and add references and then go back to add another reference in the same place it is buggy: The reference is not "added" as a cluster but as an additional reference. You can try to correct that with removing the around the new reference added but then the references are not recognized at all! Switching the visual markdown off shows the new added reference in plain markdown has “@....” once the “\” is removed from before @ and the additional deleted the reference cluster is recognized correctly.

I can send screenshots if needed.

Very good direction the ide is taking

This is what it looks like after adding a citation

Here is a cluster of citations[@Vrillon2020[@Robson2020; @Zhuang2020; @Farfour2020]]

see the double square bracket

and the output in word you see the three new citations are not picked up in the text although they appear in the references

Here is a cluster of citations^1

1. Vrillon, A. et al. COVID -19 in older adults: A series of 76 patients aged 850.167emYears and older with covid -19. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (2020). doi:10.1111/jgs.16894

2. Robson, B. Computers and viral diseases. Preliminary bioinformatics studies on the design of a synthetic vaccine and a preventative peptidomimetic antagonist against the sars-cov-2 (2019-nCoV, covid-19) coronavirus. Computers in Biology and Medicine 119, 103670 (2020).

3. Zhuang, M. et al. Increasing host cellular receptorangiotensin-converting enzyme 2 expression by coronavirus may facilitate 2019-nCoV (or sars-CoV-2) infection. Journal of Medical Virology 92, 2693–2701 (2020).

4. Farfour, E. et al. The allplex 2019-nCoV (seegene) assay: Which performances are for sars-cov-2 infection diagnosis? European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases 39, 1997–2000 (2020).

Thanks for reporting this! I've logged an issue to track this here

I will look into it, but in the meantime, as you probably figured out, your best bet is to delete and re-insert citations into a cluster rather than trying to add an entry to an existing citation.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.