paid / full-time / Boston & Cambridge, MA
For residents of the United States and Canada
Our Research Scientists are our Inventors. We identify and target steps in disease mechanisms or pathways that could be inhibited or enhanced. Our goal is to isolate a compound that is effective against a disease target. Using innovative thinking, state-of-the-art facilities and robust scientific methodology we collaborate to discover the next medical breakthrough.
Become part of a highly cutting edge and innovative Quantitative Biosciences department. Using robust scientific methodology, novel translational models, state-of-the-art instruments and automated equipment, we collaborate to discover the next medical breakthrough. We have added new capability enhancements that allow higher-resolution interrogation of novel biology and the molecular mechanism of action of molecules that help advance the best drug candidates in the clinic.
How to handle and efficiently analyze data with increasing complexity is quickly becoming the next bottleneck. We are therefore seeking an innovative computational scientist to join our company's Research Laboratory in Boston to help us close this gap who can:
- Develop graphic user-interfaces and optimize pipelines and novel computational approaches to process and analyze highly multidimensional data as those generated from CyTOF, IMC, mIHC, DRUGseq, and high-content image-based profiling experiments e.g. cell painting.
- Become part of a creative and flexible team; collaborate and work closely with bench scientists. Support efforts on the experimental design, analysis, and interpretation of experiments.
- Collaborate with Oncology, Metabolic Disease, Neuroscience and Infectious Disease discovery teams to develop biological hypotheses for computational interrogation
- Proficiency in making graphic user interfaces (GUI) for analytics using R Shiny, AngularJS, React.js, etc.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language, such as R or Python
- Bachelor’s level understanding of biology and chemistry
- Excellent attention to detail and strong communication (oral and written) skills
- Experience with the computational analysis and interpretation of highly multiplexed datasets
- Experience in high-performance computing hosted in a Unix/Linux OS environment
- Proficiency in at least one deep learning framework, such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, etc.
- Experience with cytometry (i.e. FACS, CyTOF) and/or histology techniques is a plus
- Highly self-motivated and capable of prioritizing deliverables among multiple simultaneous projects
- Experience in building strong relationships within highly collaborative, multidisciplinary teams
- Experience in optimizing machine learning model performance using low-level languages, such as C++, Java, etc.
- Master’s level understanding of statistics and machine learning techniques such as dimensionality reduction, classification, feature selection, causal inference, regression, supervised/unsupervised learning.
- Bachelor or Master of Science Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Immunology, Molecular Biology or related field
- 2+ years of working experience in computational biology, bioinformatics and machine learning in a pharma, biotech or academic setting.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth .
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.