Paid / Boston, MA, USA / Full-time
Exciting opportunity for a Data Scientist in Quantitative Biosciences with experience with Shiny and RMarkdown
New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in customer facing commercial or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Become part of a highly cutting edge and innovative Quantitative Biosciences department. Using robust scientific methodology, novel translational models, state-of-the-art instruments, and automated equipment, we engage in multidisciplinary collaborations to discover the next medical breakthrough. We have added new capability enhancements that allow higher-resolution interrogation of novel biology and the molecular mechanism of action of molecules that help advance the best drug candidates in the clinic.
As a Data Scientist within the Quantitative Biosciences Department at Merck, you will lead statistical analyses, create data science products, and help to implement at-scale data pipelines that enhance our department’s ability to perform early target drug candidate discovery.
You will apply rigorous biostatistical and computational methods to help scientists generate novel and impactful hypotheses for target discovery. The Data Scientist is also responsible for providing stakeholders with an in-depth understanding of the data and interpreting analytical results.
The ideal candidate we are looking for has a strong background and experience with data wrangling, modelling, visualizing, and interpreting experimentally generated biological data (e.g., genomics, flow cytometry, high content imaging). This is an ideal opportunity for candidates who are intellectually curious and analytically minded. You should be able to effectively and concisely communicate oral and written results to various stakeholders with diverse backgrounds, balance shifting priorities and build strong relationships among multidisciplinary cross-organizational teams.
As a Data Scientist, you will:
- Take ownership of producing data science products (e.g. Shiny, RMarkdown, etc.)
- Be part of a team that develops pipelines and novel computational approaches to process and analyze highly multidimensional data such as those generated from CyTOF, CRISPR, Bulk RNASeq, and high-content image-based profiling experiments e.g., cell painting.
- Become part of a creative and flexible team; collaborate and work closely with bench scientists on the experimental design, analysis, and interpretation of study results.
- Collaborate with Oncology, Metabolic Disease, Neuroscience, and Infectious Disease discovery teams to develop biological hypotheses for computational interrogation.
You are a strong fit for this role if:
- You are proficient in data wrangling and comfortable working with databases
- You have data analytic proficiency using R or Python as well as building interactive reports with Shiny and RMarkdown
- You have a strong background in computational analysis and interpretation of results and/or machine learning
Nice to have:
- You understand how to or have demonstrated skills to implement analytical workflows reproducibly (package and library development, Git, Docker, Bash) and at scale (e.g., high performance computing in a Unix/Linux OS environment, or familiar with cloud computing, e.g., AWS).
- You have a track record of producing scientific publications
- You have been involved in research projects in the pharmaceutical early target discovery context
- Understanding of CI/CD tools
- Bachelor and 2+ years of working experience in computational biology, bioinformatics and machine learning in a pharma, biotech, or academic setting or Master of Science in Biostatistics, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.