paid / Boston / full-time
Want to make an impact with R Shiny and R Markdown reports in Biotech? Join me and my time in Merck Research Labs Boston where we are building a great team of Engineers and Scientists working on the coolest new tech and an unimaginable scale!
Become part of a cutting edge and innovative Quantitative Biosciences department. Using robust scientific methodology, novel translational models, state-of-the-art instruments, and automated equipment, we engage in multidisciplinary collaborations to discover the next medical breakthrough. We have expanded our capabilities to drive higher-resolution interrogation of novel biology and the molecular mechanism of action of molecules that help advance the best drug candidates to the clinic.
Individuals joining us are assured of a rewarding and progressive career in drug discovery. You’ll have the opportunity to address challenging data problems, across multiple modalities with a hands-on influence in delivering solutions directly to biologists designing the next generation of high-throughput experiments. We operate in a truly multi-cultural, collegial, and collaborative work environment that is rich in development and growth.
As a Data Scientist within the Quantitative Biosciences Department at our Company, you will lead statistical analyses, create data science products, and help to implement performant data pipelines that enhance our department’s prowess in early target drug candidate discovery. In the Quantitative Biosciences department, you will have the opportunity to interrogate a myriad of modalities (e.g., genomics, flow cytometry, high content imaging), and explore the complex data output of cutting-edge automated machines across the organization.
You will apply rigorous biostatistical and computational methods to help scientists generate novel and impactful hypotheses for target discovery. The Data Scientist will also provide stakeholders with an in-depth understanding of the data and interpretation of analytical results, providing expertise during the experimental development process.
This is an ideal opportunity for candidates who are intellectually curious, analytically minded, and looking to grow in their next role. You should be able to communicate oral and written results effectively and concisely to various stakeholders, balance priorities and build strong relationships among multidisciplinary cross-organizational teams.
- Take ownership of producing data science products (e.g. Shiny, RMarkdown, Plotly Dash Apps, etc.)
- Communicate changes to scientists and work to understand the user experience of the applications you are engineering and deploying
- Develop scalable data analysis pipelines that are deployed on local high-performance computing (HPC) clusters and in the cloud (AWS)
- Process and analyze highly multidimensional data such as those generated from CyTOF, CRISPR, Bulk RNASeq, and high-content image-based profiling experiments e.g., Cell Painting
- Become part of a creative and flexible team; collaborate and work closely with bench scientists on the experimental design, analysis, and interpretation of study results
- Collaborate with Oncology, Metabolic Disease, Neuroscience, and Infectious Disease discovery teams to develop biological hypotheses for computational interrogation
- You are enthusiastic about documenting, testing, and pushing new code, results and features to your stakeholders.
- You are proficient in data wrangling in R and/or Python and are comfortable interfacing with databases in your code and have experience with SQL.
- You have experience with developing end-to-end analysis pipelines and/or building interactive reports with Shiny, RMarkdown, Jupyter or Dash.
- Master of Science in Biostatistics, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, or
- Bachelor and 2+ years of working experience in either computational biology, bioinformatics and machine learning in a pharma, biotech, or academic setting.
Nice to have:
- You enjoy learning from experts in their respective fields and aren’t afraid to ask your colleagues for help
- You understand how to or have demonstrated skills to implement analytical workflows reproducibly (package and library development, Git, Docker, Bash) and at scale (e.g., high performance computing in a Unix/Linux OS environment, or familiar with cloud computing, e.g., AWS)
- You have a track record of producing scientific publications
- You have been involved in research projects in the pharmaceutical early target discovery context
- You keep up with cutting-edge machine learning applications and are motivated to jump-in to see their application to drug-discovery
- Understanding of CI/CD tools
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
For positions located in the United States and Puerto Rico – Subject to applicable law, all new hires (including internal transfers) must demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or that they qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement. New hires (including internal transfers) to a position that, as determined by the Company, requires routine collaboration with external stakeholders (such as roles in health services or customer-facing commercial or research-based roles) (“Customer-Facing Role”) who are not vaccinated must qualify for a medical or religious exemption and be in a position that the Company determines can accommodate unvaccinated employees without causing an undue burden to business operations. If, following dialog with the candidate as appropriate, it is determined that the candidate either a) does not qualify for a religious or medical exemption or, b) for candidates applying for Customer-Facing roles, it is determined that allowing the candidate to work without vaccination would cause an undue burden to the Company, the candidate will be ineligible for hire or transfer, or any offer of employment or transfer (if applicable) will be revoked. Please note that notwithstanding the approval of any reasonable accommodation, the Company reserves the right to monitor, modify, or revoke any such accommodation if it is determined, following dialog with the employee, that the accommodation is no longer effective or results in an undue burden to the Company.
Please follow the link or email email@example.com to apply