Merging/ joining two datasets leads to crash

Hello RStudio Communiy,

for my thesis, I am currently working with the Dominick's finer foods dataset.
I was trying to merge two big datasets (about 800 obs. of 7 var. + about 3.990.000 obs. of 11 var.).

Even though processing difficulties are somewhat to be expected, I feel like the following problems I am facing are not.

1. First, I treid to merge them with the normal merge-function and by one common variable (first all=TRUE, then only tried all.x and all.y; both didn't work). What happened here is that R kept processing for what felt like forever. So after max. 30 mins I stopped the processing and then R crased and some data got lost (previous entreis in a table). "previous session crashed...", "may have lost workspace data..." and so on.

2. So I tried it withh the "dplyr"-package. To my surprise the new table was generated in about a second and all was good. UNTIL I triew viewing the table (View(table)). Then the same thing and same errors appeared again. Session crashed and data was lost. The new table disappears.

Is there any way I can deal with this? Should I just now "View" the datatable? And just use str or else instead? Is this a common problem with such large datasets?

Thank you for your help!

Best reagrds,
Emin

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.