Minor resolution glitch on R (intended for RStudio developer feedback)

I use a Windows 10 laptop with a 14 in screen as a secondary/travel computer. I have kept it at a lower than default resolution because, at the default resolution, the icons and print are difficult for me to see. When I updated RStudio on this machine from 1.1 to 1.2.1335, I found that I could not see the command prompt in the console window in its default position on the lower left. It was somewhere below the bottom of the screen, and I could not scroll down to it. My fix was to go back to a higher resolution on my travel laptop, but this makes text and icons more difficult to read/see on RStudio and with everything else I do with this machine. I'm enough of an RStudio fan that I would rather put up with this difficulty than quit using RStudio on this machine. And it is machine-specific; it does not affect my Windows desktop and I never messed with resolution on our Ubuntu laptop floaters. Still, if the functionality at reduced resolution that I experienced in previous versions of RStudio could be restored in the current version, that woud be nice.

It's possible that you're bumping into some sort of rendering issue -- switching to software rendering may help. See https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017886674-Troubleshooting-RStudio-Rendering-Errors for more information.

If not, I'd be curious to know what kind of laptop you're using just so we can compare with our in-house Windows laptops to see if we can reproduce.

Thanks! Actually, I don't believe that what I've seen is related to the issues in the linked item. I have, however, since figured out a work-around that seems to improve useability of RStudio on my laptop.

The annoyance mentioned is on a Del Latitude 5480 laptop running Windows 10. The current and preferred resolution is 1920 x 1080. Also, per the suggestions of the Windows settings dialogue, I leave "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" at 150%.

If I open RSTudio as is with these settings, the text is so large as to make the Windows unusable (screens are about 20 characters wide), and, as mentioned, the cursor in the console is invisible below the bottom of the screen. I have since found that I can solve the latter problems by setting the task bar to appear as needed (Lock taskbar off, automatically hide in desktop mode on). In the "Zoom out/Zoom in" options in View, I then adjust so that 78 characters (e.g., "#===...") just appear in the top of the script window. For me, RStudio usability on this laptop is then optimized.

Same problem here with glitches during typing after upgrading to RStudio IDE 1.2.1335.
Laptop: Surface Book 2

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.