Mousepointer Double arrow <=> in right margin of View() has no effect

When I open a tibble or dataframe with View(), rstudio's data viewer comes up.
It is already very powerful, and I like to work with it.

However, when I open a dataviewer window with only one or two columns, the Viewer defaults to a rather narrow table, that doesn't completely fill the pane. And it can't be expanded to the right, although this would be very useful to me.
The right margin is fixed, although there is still space to drag the margin to the right.

I have included a picture, see above. It catched the mouse pointer but it does not show as a <=> symbol in the screenshot (that was a limitation of the screengrab tool).

See, there is space to the right but I cannot use it. Is there a way to expand the table to the right? Some command like options(tibble.width = Inf), but specific to the View() window?

So these are two small problems. (1) The available free space on the right cannot be used, And (2) the mousepointer changes appearance, indicating that an action is possible, but it isn't. (At the right margin of the rightmost column no action is possible. Only at right margins of the leftmost columns, or inner columns the width can be changed.)

R version 3.4.1 (2017-06-30)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS

RStudio
$mode
[1] "desktop"

$version
[1] ‘1.1.372’