Multiline Functions

I am doing something wrong when I try to create a function

I enter

I want to enter "myfunc3 <- variable(a) {" and RSTUDIO automatically creates the "}" on the same line that then it will not let me enter more than one line of code.

There does not appear to be a next line delimiter like , or . or \n

As a result, I can't create a real function

When I use the edit(myfunc3) command, it let's me create a function, but when I click on save, it closes but does not save. Please help. I am new with RSTUDIO and R and without help, I am stuck

If you are entering code in the console, usually that is the lower left pane, you can enter multiple lines using Shift + Enter. I never actually do the; I use the Script pane at the top left for multiline code.

To define a function you should use function() as in the following where I defined a multiline function in the console. The + marks are made automatically, you do not type them in.

> myfunc3 <- function(a) {
+     tmp <- a * 3
+     tmp^3
+ }

Thank you.

I would use the upper left quadrant in the console but it is stuck in read only mode and I can’t find a place to change it.

I am using a new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip and latest version of OS.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.