New install silently fails to authenticate

Hello community!
We had an old 0.99.somethingreallyold server running with R 3.2 on a RHEL 6 machine and I've decided to create a spiffy new RHEL 7 host with 1.1.463 and an R-4.0.0 backend. It took me a few iterations to get it to start without errors (mostly my custom R required some RPMs I didn't have), but it still stubbornly declines to let me auth, returning "Error: Incorrect or invalid username/password"

R's sessionInfo is pretty bland:

> sessionInfo()
R version 4.0.0 (2020-04-24)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Matrix products: default
BLAS:   /usr/lib64/libblas.so.3.4.2
LAPACK: /broad/software/free/Linux/redhat_7_x86_64/pkgs/r_4.0.0/lib64/R/lib/libRlapack.so

locale:
[1] C

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base```

One thing that is possibly unusual is that I'm using an Apache front end to do SSL using ProxyPass to forward traffic to localhost. and the apache access log is showing 302 and 304, but I get the same behavior when hitting 8787 directly.  
I haven't really found any other logs: /var/lib/rstudio-server/monitor doesn't exist.  ```
rstudio-server verify-installation
``` runs clean
I suspect some PAM integration problem but the pamcheck command didn't com with my distribution

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.