new installation R studio macbook air M1 chip cannot install packages

Attempted to install several packages and all returned same error. Same outcome for install.packages or for [tools][install packages].

Vers 2022.02.3 build 492

install.packages("ggplot2")
Installing package(s) into ‘/Users/name/Library/R/2.15/library’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
Error in install.packages : Line starting '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLI ...' is malformed!

Also attempted to install package archive file via [tools][install packages] and returned:

install.packages("~/Downloads/tuneR_1.3.3.tar.gz", repos = NULL, type = "source")
Installing package(s) into ‘/Users/ted/Library/R/2.15/library’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R: line 259: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/i386/R: Bad CPU type in executable
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R: line 259: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/i386/R: Undefined error: 0
Warning in install.packages :
installation of package ‘/Users/name/Downloads/tuneR_1.3.3.tar.gz’ had non-zero exit status

Have run these packages on an older macbook and currently on 2 x W10s with no issues. Is it the m1 chip, my install, or am I doing something dopey?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.