New to R. New to group. Using for loop on a horse racing database.

HI All

I'm new to the group and to R language.

I've been studying basic R language using 'for dummies' books and I've recently started using RStudio.

I've written some code (below) that achieves the desired result.
However, i'm aware that i'm reproducing lines of the same code which would surely be more efficiently coded using a for loop.
Also, there will be races with large numbers of horses so I really need to be able to run a for loop that runs through each horse.
ie. num_runners = NROW(my_new_data)

my_new_data holds data on horses previous races.
DaH is a numeric rating that is attached to each of a horse's previous runs with DaH1 being the most recent and DaH6 is six races back.
Code, a character, signifies the type of race that the horse competed in. ie. Flat, Fences.

I have played with using for loops, ie. for(i in 1:6) without success.
Since I am assigning to a new horse each time I would hope something such as the following would work:

horse(i) = c(my_new_data$DaH1[i],my_new_data$DaH2[i],my_new_data$DaH3[i],my_new_data$DaH4[i],my_new_data$DaH5[i],my_new_data$DaH6[i])
But I know that horse(i) is not allowed.
Would my best strategy be to pre-define a dataframe of size: 6 rows and 6 columns
and use 2 for loops to populate [row][column]? Something like:

final_data[i,j]

Here is the code I am presently using which creates the dataframe racetest:

horse1 = c(my_new_data$DaH1[1],my_new_data$DaH2[1],my_new_data$DaH3[1],my_new_data$DaH4[1],my_new_data$DaH5[1],my_new_data$DaH6[1])
horse2 = c(my_new_data$DaH1[2],my_new_data$DaH2[2],my_new_data$DaH3[2],my_new_data$DaH4[2],my_new_data$DaH5[2],my_new_data$DaH6[2])
horse3 = c(my_new_data$DaH1[3],my_new_data$DaH2[3],my_new_data$DaH3[3],my_new_data$DaH4[3],my_new_data$DaH5[3],my_new_data$DaH6[3])
horse4 = c(my_new_data$DaH1[4],my_new_data$DaH2[4],my_new_data$DaH3[4],my_new_data$DaH4[4],my_new_data$DaH5[4],my_new_data$DaH6[4])
horse5 = c(my_new_data$DaH1[5],my_new_data$DaH2[5],my_new_data$DaH3[5],my_new_data$DaH4[5],my_new_data$DaH5[5],my_new_data$DaH6[5])
horse6 = c(my_new_data$DaH1[6],my_new_data$DaH2[6],my_new_data$DaH3[6],my_new_data$DaH4[6],my_new_data$DaH5[6],my_new_data$DaH6[6])
horse1.code = c(my_new_data$Code1[1],my_new_data$Code2[1],my_new_data$Code3[1],my_new_data$Code4[1],my_new_data$Code5[1],my_new_data$Code6[1])
horse2.code = c(my_new_data$Code1[2],my_new_data$Code2[2],my_new_data$Code3[2],my_new_data$Code4[2],my_new_data$Code5[2],my_new_data$Code6[2])
horse3.code = c(my_new_data$Code1[3],my_new_data$Code2[3],my_new_data$Code3[3],my_new_data$Code4[3],my_new_data$Code5[3],my_new_data$Code6[3])
horse4.code = c(my_new_data$Code1[4],my_new_data$Code2[4],my_new_data$Code3[4],my_new_data$Code4[4],my_new_data$Code5[4],my_new_data$Code6[4])
horse5.code = c(my_new_data$Code1[5],my_new_data$Code2[5],my_new_data$Code3[5],my_new_data$Code4[5],my_new_data$Code5[5],my_new_data$Code6[5])
horse6.code = c(my_new_data$Code1[6],my_new_data$Code2[6],my_new_data$Code3[6],my_new_data$Code4[6],my_new_data$Code5[6],my_new_data$Code6[6])

racetest = data.frame(horse1,horse1.code,horse2,horse2.code, horse3, horse3.code,
horse4,horse4.code,horse5,horse5.code, horse6, horse6.code)

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered!
Graham

It seems you want to rotate your data from being in rows to being in columns. Is that correct?
It would be easiest to help you if we had an example of your data. Please run the command

dput(head(my_new_data))

and paste the output into a new post. On the line in the post just before and just after the output, place three back ticks, ```, so that the output is formatted as code.