Nominal exogenous variable for moderation (SEM)

Dear Community,
I am currently executing a structural equation model with lavaan and do want to include a nominal exogenous variable. First of all to look for a main effect, but mainly to investigate a moderation effect. I did find this helpful site about categorical variables ( The lavaan Project (ugent.be)) and do wonder if I need a multilevel approach or just a dummy variable. My nominal variable is a manipulation condition with a control group (so including the control group it is 4 groups). There is no order between the groups, as they have different characteristics.

So my first question is:
Do I have to create 3 dummy variables and look for a main effect and in the second step include the interception of each dummy?
In total I have 3 subdimensions of one construct as exogenous variables plus the manipulation.
For one subdimension this would lead me to following code :
Outcome (IV) =~ subdimension1 + Dummy1 + Dummy2 + Dummy3 (without Moderation)
Outcome (IV) =~ subdimension1 Dummy1 + subdimension1 Dummy2 + subdimension* Dummy3 (including Moderation)

I do feel that I am on the wrong path.
Thank you so much in advance.
Best regards

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.