Novel-gazing - 2020 Shiny Contest Submission

Novel-gazing

Authors: Megsie Siple
Working with Shiny more than 1 year

Abstract: A tool for analyzing your reading habits, based on user data from Goodreads and subject data from OpenLibrary

Full Description: There is so much you can tell from looking at someone's bookshelf. I wanted to show people the complexity on their shelves, and give them a way to do some self-examination (hence the name of the app). The first few tabs of the app show the user an overview of their general reading habits and how they tend to rate the books they read. The "Ecology of your bookshelf" tab applies some of the multivariate tools we use in ecology to the user's bookshelf. I though it might reveal some interesting patterns.

Intended audience: Readers of all stripes.

Goal: I want people to have fun thinking about books. I hope they use this tool to recognize interesting patterns in their reading.

Future steps: Eventually I would like to incorporate some demographic information about authors so that readers can see whether they are listening to broad perspectives.

Category: Other
Keywords: books, reading, personal data, diagnostics, Goodreads, OpenLibrary
Shiny app: https://msiple.shinyapps.io/NovelGazingApp/
Repo: GitHub - mcsiple/novelgazing: A fun project using community ecology to look at peoples' reading habits.
RStudio Cloud: Posit Cloud

Thumbnail:

Full image:

1 Like