Old RStudio Desktop version overwrites latest (Mac)

This is the strangest thing - I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions. I installed a daily release of RStudio (desktop) on my Mac (M1, Monterey) and it works great. 'About RStudio' shows the relevant 2023 version info. Applications shows it's the right version. I can see colour-highlighting of colour names.

However, when I open a new project I see the old icon in the menu bar, and 'About RStudio' says it's an old 2022 release

RStudio 2022.02.3+492 "Prairie Trillium" Release (1db809b8323ba0a87c148d16eb84efe39a8e7785, 2022-05-16) for macOS
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 12_6_0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtWebEngine/5.12.10 Chrome/69.0.3497.128 Safari/537.36

open -n -a Rstudio opens the 2022 version. Applications shows it's the 2022 version and has a 2022 timestamp. Colour highlighting doesn't work.

I'm very confused as to where/how/why it is overwriting the application. I've tried deleting RStudio from Applications then starting the process over, and I get the 2023 daily version at first, but then the 2022 one comes back next time I open a project.

I found this SO post with what looks to be the same problem (slightly different version): reinstall - Old version of RStudio automatically reinstalled after an update - Stack Overflow but with no resolution beyond "keep reinstalling it".

I'm happy to provide more info if anyone can help.

The solution to this appears to be "corporate patch management" :roll_eyes:

At least it's no longer a mystery.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.