Open Recent Project in New Session

Many times I have more than one RStudio project open on my desktop. I can do so only be opening them from one of the currently running sessions by File - Open Project in a new Session. The file/project browser starts then from my home directory and I have most to navigate to a total different folder on a share to open the project I want to open in parallel. Could be better.
The other option is File - Recent Projects. This allows to browse my "project name cache" and open one of them. But it is a project switcher, so my current project will be closed and the other one will be opened in the same session. Not what I want

So I open this request for a menu entry File - Open recent project in a new session. That seems optimal for me. Other way to implement a nearly equivalent feature would be a pop up when opening a recent project, asking whether to open it in a new session.

I do not need that too often, because typically I keep my desktop running for more than a day and let the PC sleep while I am off. But the are enough times where the PC has to be restarted and the RStudio does not restore itself to all the sessions I had opened before the last shutdown.

Environment:
RStudio 1.4 on openSUSE Linux.

Strictly speaking, a feature request should be filed on the GitHub repo, unless you want to get feedback from the community first, in which case posting here is a good way to go.

Hi @gsgmx,

Fistly, have you noticed the drop down menu at the top right corner of RStudio? It opens a menu similar to File - Recent Projects, but only your last 10 projects. Next to each project there is an icon that, when clicked allows you to open a project in a new session.

Secondly, I have an addin that might be of interest.

Most recently used projects addin

It's been a bit of a backburner project for about 4 years :roll_eyes:, but I just updated it to work with RStudio 1.4.

So far I have only tried this version on Windows, but an earlier version did work on Linux.

I assign ctrl + P as a shortcut, and then I find it easier to use than opening the file menu.

Feel free to see if it works.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.