Organize minimal project tree where data is taken from Postgres database via flexdashboard

Hi all,

I would like to show my current workflow and get some suggestion about how to improve it.
I created a flexdashboard using some data I take from a Postgres database.
I feel it is full of errors and bad practices and I would like to have some suggestions about how to refactor my code.

Here how my project structure looks like:

└── my_awesome_report
    ├── set_up.R
    ├── get_data.R
    ├── data
    │     └── my_data.RData
    ├── my_awesome_report.Rmd
    └── .gitignore
  • set_up.R contains libraries & database connection via RPostgres.
    This file starts with rm(list=ls()); I know, but where to find some resources on how to correct this error?
  • get_data.R gets data via dbGetQuery(db, query), closes the connections via dbDisconnect(db), applies transformations via dplyr then saves the final dataframe in the /data folder as my_data.RData.
  • I show my data in a flexdashboard template, hosted on shinyapp.io.
    In r setup, I load my libraries (again!) and data, run and show some tables via kable and some other nice things, and then publish it.
{r setup, include=FALSE}
# load libraries 
library(plotly)
library(knitr)
library(kable)

# load data 
load('data/my_data.RData')

I want my dashboard to be updated on a daily basis; or add a button that the user can press like "Update dashboard" and refreshes the whole dashboard data.
And here is where my process gets very cumbersome.

I run manually:

1. set_up.R
  2. get_data.R
  3. render my flexdashbaord
  4. publish it on the shinyapp.io

How can I make this process automatic, with a chronjob?
The main structure is there but I feel that the whole process is approached in the wrong way.

please let me know your opinion.

Vincenzo

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.