package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ Error message

Hi, I keep getting this message everytime I try to load the tidyverse package. I remember last week I believe I had tried to install some tidyverse udpates using the tidyverse update command... but I can't remember exactly. I'm still new to R, but I really need this package for basic data cleaning I do. I'm not sure what to do? I believe I'm only getting this message when loading the tidyverse package.

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in get(Info[i, 1], envir = env):
lazy-load database 'C:/Users/pchan/Documents/R/win-library/3.6/rlang/R/rlang.rdb' is corrupt
In addition: Warning message:
In get(Info[i, 1], envir = env) : internal error -3 in R_decompress1

Try reinstalling rlang package


This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

This is another corrupt package, do the same as before and install it again, if you have recently updated your R version try updating your packages with


Hi @andresrcs,

So I installed rlang, and then tried to load tidyverse and got this message now:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in runHook(".onLoad", env, package.lib, package):
lazy-load database 'C:/Users/pchan/Documents/R/win-library/3.6/lifecycle/R/lifecycle.rdb' is corrupt
In addition: Warning message:
In runHook(".onLoad", env, package.lib, package) :
internal error -3 in R_decompress1

Incase it's helpful, here's the message I got after installing rlang:

Installing package into ‘C:/Users/pchan/Documents/R/win-library/3.6’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL ''
Content type 'application/zip' length 1131356 bytes (1.1 MB)
downloaded 1.1 MB

Okay, thanks @andresrcs. Reinstalling lifecycle, followed by other packages that got a 'is corrupt' message seemed to work, and I was finally able to fully install and load tidyverse. I also would restart my R session each time I installed a new package, and that seemed to helped too. I initially ran the update.packages command, and after that completed, I thought all my packages would just update. But it turned out I still had to reinstall a number of packages, including lifecycle, because I still kept getting the 'corrupt' message.