package ‘socviz’ is not available (for R version 3.5.1)

I have installed socviz package from github kjhealy/socviz and was trying to use the RMarkdown template "Data Visualization Notes". The template does not show up. When I tried to reinstall the package within RStudio I get the following message: "package ‘socviz’ is not available (for R version 3.5.1)". Any solutions? I am new to R.

Can you detail the steps so that we can reproduce and help you ?

You need to install with install_github only.

Hi htezcan,

as @cderv says, should should be able to launch RStudio and then make sure you have the devtools package installed:

install.packages("devtools")

Then, from the console, try

library(devtools)
install_github("kjhealy/socviz") 

Finally, load the package with

library(socviz)

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Here is a video of the problem I am running into.

I just do not get the templates showing up even though all of the previous steps seem to work.

This is on a Windows 10 platform if that helps.

thanks for any help,
Richard

OK, so the course packet of notes that you've installed is enough to get you started—you can click on e.g. 01_introduction.Rmd or 02_get_started.Rmd and begin taking notes there if you wish. (The file names are keyed to the chapters of the book.)

However, you should also be able to access the template. I fixed this problem just yesterday, so I'd ask that you try one more time to install the socviz library and go through the File > New File ... > R Markdown steps you do in the video. So, from the console,

install_github("kjhealy/socviz")

Then quit R Studio, relaunch, and

library(socviz)

(That step isn't required, but I'm trying to be thorough.)

And then File > New File ... > R Markdown

That seemed to do it!

Thanks so much!

Richard

Terrific! Thanks for persevering.

If your question's been answered, would you mind choosing a solution? It helps other people see which questions still need help, or find solutions if they have similar problems. Here’s how to do it:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.