"Page Unresponsive" message for only some users

R and RStudio have kind of fallen into my lap. I was assigned the task of installing them on a server, though up until then, I'd never heard of either, so please be kind. I've already scoured the Internet as best I could, but have been unable to find a solution so far. I have them installed on CentOS 7. R is 3.5.0-1.el7.x86_64, RStudio Server is 1.0.143-1.x86_64.

I have a few users who are reporting they are getting a "Page Unresponsive" message when they log into RStudio in their browsers. I am able to log in just fine and don't get this message, but I don't do anything else with it. Others, who write code in it, are able to log in and work without the message appearing for them. It's just these 2 users who cannot. I've already restarted the service as well. To make matters more complicated, it would seem all of the users are on the other side of the world so real-time troubleshooting with them is not possible.

Have any of you encountered this? What would you suggest as a fix?

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the R community! Hopefully we can assist with your issue!

A bit more information would be helpful to debugging:

• Is there a reason you have RStudio Server 1.0 installed? Are you running RStudio Server Open Source or RStudio Server Pro? 1.1.456 is the latest release.
  • What server architecture are you using? RHEL, Ubuntu, etc.?
  • Are anything happening in the server logs when these users get these message? /var/log/messages or /var/lib/rstudio-server/monitor/log/rstudio-server.log
  • Can the users provide any more information about the Page Unresponsive message they are receiving? They could open browser devtools and provide more information about the requests that are being made, the responses they are receiving, etc.
  • Do the users have network access to the server / port that RStudio is listening on? It can be possible for certain networks to block non-standard ports
  • Do the users have a user / home directory created on the server, with read/write access to their respective home directories?

In particular, since some users are not experiencing issues, the key is to highlight the differences between the users. It is unlikely that the problem is related to server configuration. Geographical difference could suggest some type of network issue.

Hi cole,

• We're running the open source version.
  • CentOS 7, 64-bit.
  • The most recent entry in /var/log/messages for the reporter of this issue is:
WARNING Abort requested; LOGGED FROM: bool rstudio::session::connection::checkForAbort(boost::shared_ptr<rstudio::session::HttpConnection>, boost::function<void()>) /root/rstudio/src/cpp/session/http/SessionHttpConnectionUtils.cpp:136

ERROR session hadabend; LOGGED FROM: rstudio::core::Error<unnamed>::rInit(const rstudio::r::session::RInitInfo&) /root/rstudio/src/cpp/session/SessionMain.cpp:1934

It's the same message for the other user. We have no "monitor" directory in /var/lib/rstudio-server.

• The only information given so far was a couple of screenshots. One showing their browser page, while logged into RStudio, stating "A web page is slowing down your browser. What would you like to do?", and the "Page Unresponsive" message with the options "Wait" or "Exit page". I can ask them to open their browser devtools though.
  • Since I'm unaware of these accounts being different the other working ones in terms of network access, and since one of the screenshots indicates they are logged into the RStudio's webpage, I'm assuming they do have network access.
  • They each have a home directory on the server, each owned by them respectively, and have read/write access.

I was wondering if there is something inside their "R" or "rstudio" directories. I recently had to upgrade R from 3.3.x to 3.5.0, at their request. I brought it to that requestor's attention that from what I'd read, they'd need to update any packages they had installed. That person said they were aware, but I see these to user do not have a "3.5" directory under R like the users not experiencing any trouble. Do you think this could this be the cause of their issues?

Hello,

Can you try resetting the user state for these two users? To do so, please follow the instructions found here:

https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/218730228-Resetting-a-user-s-state-on-RStudio-Server

Does that allow them to login?

1 Like

Sorry for the late follow-up here! Pegging down R / RStudio directories are a great point. The article Jay mentioned is a great place to start. Performance issues can also happen if the users have large .Rdata files in their home or project directories. R will try to load those files on startup, which can cause significant performance issues and unresponsiveness.

Please do let us know if you are still wrestling with this issue and if we can help at all! We would also recommend upgrading RStudio Server (1.1 is the latest release, and 1.2 is in preview) and checking out RStudio Server Pro if it would fit your context. In particular, it supports multiple versions of R side-by-side, multiple concurrent sessions for each user, and a handful of more admin-focused tooling that are useful in an enterprise context.

I followed the suggested steps, weeks ago. The two affected users never got back to me if the problem was resolved for them, so I'm assuming (yes I know), that it is. Thank you for all your help so far.

1 Like

Glad to hear things are going well so far (even if just by way of assumption)! Let us know if we can help with anything else!