Pandoc error trying DISTILL

Always good to try out new methods and see it go. I tried HUGO severally and at one point or another, it bluffs. So I was excited to learn that DISTILL is an easy way to create personal website. Therefore I just tried the example for creating website from DISTILL help which resulted into the error message "pandoc document conversion failed with error 6"!!, I have tried all suggestions on Google (re-installed pandoc and rmarkdown) without success. Does anyone have ideas about this? I am using R4.03 and the RStudio is the very latest.

Hi @Job_Nmadu,

Can you try running rmarkdown::pandoc_exec() in a fresh R session within RStudio and share what it returns?

Hmm, okay, this may be the issue. rmarkdown is probably using your system version of pandoc rather than the one that comes installed with RStudio.

Could you also run rmarkdown::find_pandoc() and Sys.getenv("RSTUDIO_PANDOC")?

rmarkdown::find_pandoc()
$version
[1] ‘2.11.2’

$dir
[1] "C:/Users/JOBNMA~1/AppData/Local/Pandoc"

Sys.getenv("RSTUDIO_PANDOC")
[1] "C:/Program Files/RStudio/bin/pandoc"

It is indeed using a Pandoc version installed on your system, but that should work anyway.

Can you share the full console output you have for the pandoc command regarding this error ?

Thanks.

I tried HUGO severally and at one point or another, it bluffs.

Happy to here more about that too ! you can DM me to share your feedback, I would be very interested to know what frictions you had with blogdown

Not run:

library(distill)
create_website("mysite", "My Site")
Creating website directory mysite
Creating mysite/_site.yml
Creating mysite/index.Rmd
Creating mysite/about.Rmd
Rendering website...

Rendering: mysite/about.Rmd
|................. | 33%
ordinary text without R code

|................................. | 67%
label: setup (with options)
List of 1
$ include: logi FALSE

|..................................................| 100%

"C:/Users/JOBNMA~1/AppData/Local/Pandoc/pandoc" +RTS -K512m -RTS about.utf8.md --to html5 --from markdown+autolink_bare_uris+tex_math_single_backslash --output about.html --lua-filter "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\DOCUME~1\R\WIN-LI~1\4.0\RMARKD~1\RMARKD~1\lua\PAGEBR~1.LUA" --lua-filter "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\DOCUME~1\R\WIN-LI~1\4.0\RMARKD~1\RMARKD~1\lua\LATEX-~1.LUA" --email-obfuscation none --standalone --variable toc-float=1 --highlight-style "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\DOCUME~1\R\WIN-LI~1\4.0\distill\RMARKD~1\TEMPLA~1\DISTIL~1\RESOUR~1\ARROW~1.THE" --template "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\DOCUME~1\R\WIN-LI~1\4.0\distill\RMARKD~1\TEMPLA~1\DISTIL~1\RESOUR~1\DEFAUL~1.HTM" "--metadata=link-citations:true" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f2056a84b02html" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f2042b6ce4html" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f2013a940a1html" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f207c85aahtml" --include-before-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f20b1b20cehtml" --include-before-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f2044c92aa9html" --include-before-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f2019e0f7bhtml" --include-after-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f205df25a31html" --include-after-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f207761b05html" --include-after-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f20198c2117html" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\rmarkdown-str3f2070ec7996.html" --mathjax --variable "mathjax-url:https://mathjax.rstudio.com/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKwmp3W\file3f203547297bhtml"
Unknown highlight-style C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\DOCUME~1\R\WIN-LI~1\4.0\distill\RMARKD~1\TEMPLA~1\DISTIL~1\RESOUR~1\ARROW~1.THE
Error: pandoc document conversion failed with error 6

End(Not run)

Thank you. I believe this is related to

But I did not manage to reproduce.

It would be very much appreciated if your are willing to help me with this https://github.com/rstudio/distill/issues/214#issuecomment-730369778

As it is now the second times, I think we have an issue with Windows and Pandoc related to the custom theme used.

Maybe it is because of windows short path... :thinking:

public_dir <- "C:/Users/Public/Documents/"

file.copy(distill:::distill_resource("a11y.theme"), public_dir)
[1] TRUE
theme_file <- list.files(public_dir, "a11y.theme", full.names = TRUE)
theme_file
[1] "C:/Users/Public/Documents/a11y.theme"

processing file: test.Rmd
|.................. | 25%
inline R code fragments

|................................... | 50%
label: setup (with options)
List of 1
$ include: logi FALSE

|.................................................... | 75%

|......................................................................| 100%
label: unnamed-chunk-1

output file: test.knit.md

"C:/Users/JOBNMA~1/AppData/Local/Pandoc/pandoc" +RTS -K512m -RTS test.utf8.md --to html5 --from markdown+autolink_bare_uris+tex_math_single_backslash --output test.html --lua-filter "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\DOCUME~1\R\WIN-LI~1\4.0\RMARKD~1\RMARKD~1\lua\PAGEBR~1.LUA" --lua-filter "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\DOCUME~1\R\WIN-LI~1\4.0\RMARKD~1\RMARKD~1\lua\LATEX-~1.LUA" --email-obfuscation none --self-contained --standalone --variable toc-float=1 --highlight-style "C:/Users/Public/Documents/a11y.theme" --template "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\DOCUME~1\R\WIN-LI~1\4.0\distill\RMARKD~1\TEMPLA~1\DISTIL~1\RESOUR~1\DEFAUL~1.HTM" "--metadata=link-citations:true" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c533adc2html" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c69434960html" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c22de6ba5html" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c3bdeaf4html" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c5547651html" --include-before-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c55676b61html" --include-before-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c3a9e282html" --include-before-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c19341130html" --include-after-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c3b24aahtml" --include-after-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c318d1e8fhtml" --include-after-body "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c4ba7b88html" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\rmarkdown-str152c45e14c47.html" --mathjax --variable "mathjax-url:https://mathjax.rstudio.com/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML" --include-in-header "C:\Users\JOBNMA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpcjxMlP\file152c76196b57html"

Output created: test.html
Warning message:
In (function (category = "LC_ALL", locale = "") :
OS reports request to set locale to "en_US.UTF-8" cannot be honored

I am not so clear with the second part of this instruction.
4. Click the knit button. Does it work ? Paste the command line you have in the Rmarkdown pane below "output_file: test.knit.md"

Thanks a lot ! That is exactly what I was looking for!

It seems this work for you by moving the theme file. So I believe this is an issue with WINDOWS and path with space. Can you confirm if you have a space in your username ?

C:\Users\<user with space>\Documents ?

I manage to reproduce. This is a bug with rmarkdown and Pandoc

@Job_Nmadu I pushed a fix in a PR if you want to try

You can install with

remotes::install_github("rstudio/distill#236")

Thanks very much. The fix has corrected the error code 6 in my device

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.

rmarkdown::pandoc_exec()

"C:/Users/JOBNMA~1/AppData/Local/Pandoc/pandoc"