Pass overwrite=TRUE to dplyr::semi_join()

As I'm doing some analysis in R, I need to be able to do a ````semi_join()``` where I get all values in an Oracle database table where there's a matching row in a local R tibble.

Normally, I'd do that like this:

con  <- DBI::dbConnect(odbc::odbc(), "THEDATABASE")
    db_tbl  <- tbl(con, in_schema("OTHER_USER", "table_I_care_about")

local_tbl  <- tibble(x = 1:5, y = 5:10)

new_tbl_from_db  <- db_tbl %>%
        semi_join(local_tbl, by = 'x', copy =T)

Sometimes this works. But often, I get this error:
Error: Table "dbplyr_001" exists in database, and both overwrite and append are FALSE (Of course, it's not always dbplyr_001--it could be just about any number).

If I look in my schema in the database, I see that a table named dbplyr_001 exists, which I'm not surprised about. I don't mind dbplyr writing little temporary tables. I've tried manually inserting values into this table, which works fine too.

What I can't figure out how to do is to specify overwrite=TRUE. I've tried passing that as a further argument to semi_join(), but still get the same error. Is there an easy way to pass overwrite=TRUE or append=TRUE via dplyr::semi_join()?

PS. I asked about this on StackOverflow and got some decent workaround advice, particularly the workaround I've been using: pass local_tbl$x in just a variable and do something like:

db_tbl %>%
           filter(x %in% local_tbl$x)

This is fine advice and a decent workaround. But if I want to do a left_join(), it's no help. And of course, it's still a workaround--I'd like to figure out a way to do it properly.

db_tbl  <- tbl(con, in_schema("OTHER_USER", "table_I_care_about",
                          overwrite = TRUE)

I for sure don't 'know' but I'd be tempted to try

Hm. This is a really interesting idea---I tried it a couple times and it seemed to work (despite the fact that I don't have (or SHOULDN'T HAVE!) write access to table_I_care_about).

I suppose I need to get in and check the dplyr-generated tables in my schema, see if they being changed, to confirm if this is working.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.