Passing an input parameter to .data

Hi All,
I am having an issue with one part of my function. Ultimately I am building a custom chart output that allows the user to pass limited parameters, rather than needing to construct the plot each time. The issue I am having is when trying to limit the output legend to have only columns available in the data frame, rather than all colours identified in a list. The specific error is coming from scale_fill_manual(values = gsc_gender_colours[unique(.data${{gender_column}})]) which returns the following error:
Error: unexpected '{' in: " color = "#E4E4E5") + scale_fill_manual(values = gsc_gender_colours[unique(.data${"

What is the best way to:

1. Limit the values displayed in a plot legend based on unique column values rather than a list of potential colours
    OR
  2. Pass an input parameter as a column when using .data$

UPDATE

Reproducible Code

# Sample data frame with values
df <- data.frame(gender = c("Female", "Male"), count = c(628, 372))

# Colour list
gender_colours <- list(Female = "#006B35", Male = "#8DC63F", Undisclosed = "#B6B6B6")

# Custom function
create_headcount_gender_chart <- function(.data, headcount_column, gender_column){
  .data %>%
    ggplot2::ggplot() +
      aes(x = 1.5, y = {{headcount_column}}, fill = {{gender_column}}) +
      geom_bar(stat = "identity") +
      coord_polar("y", start = 0) +
      theme_void() +
      xlim(0.2, 2.5) +
      theme(legend.title = element_blank(),
            legend.position = "bottom") +
      geom_text(aes(label = paste(round({{headcount_column}} / sum({{headcount_column}}) * 100, 1), "%")),
                position = position_stack(vjust = 0.5),
                color = "#E4E4E5") +
      scale_fill_manual(values = gender_colours[unique(.data[[gender_column]])])
}

# Testing the function
create_headcount_gender_chart(df,
                              count,
                              gender)

# Error from the function
Error in (function(x, i, exact) if (is.matrix(i)) as.matrix(x)[[i]] else .subset2(x, : object 'gender' not found

I think those double curly brackets work in certain tidyverse functions, but may not in unique().

Could try .data[[gender_column]] instead.

Thanks Arthur....great idea...I tried it, but it gave an error...

Error in tbl_subset2(x, j = i, j_arg = substitute(i)) : object 'gender' not found

Any ideas?

Hi!

To help us help you, could you please prepare a reproducible example (reprex) illustrating your issue? Please have a look at this guide, to see how to create one:

Did you type gender instead of gender_column?

Thank you, I have since update the question to include a full reproducible example.

Gender is the name of the column. I have since added a fully reproducible example. Thanks!

change

scale_fill_manual(values = gender_colours[unique(.data[[gender_column]])])

to

scale_fill_manual(values = gender_colours[unique(.data %>% pull({{gender_column}}))])
1 Like

Thank you SO much...that work perfectly!
Much appreciated!!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.