PHERAstar FSX, MARS Data Analysis interpretation in RStudio

Hi everyone,

I'm doing an undergraduate summer project where I have been analysing luminescence using the PHERAstar FSX plate reader. The data is saved as an excel file and i'm trying to interpret it in R. I'm a complete newbie to R, and was wondering whether anyone could point me in the right direction with regards to how I can learn to interpret the data in R. I've loaded GGPLOT2 as I would like to organise the data in a scatter plot.

My main issue is that I have multiple columns and rows that need interpreting as one graph but most topics I have read up on seem to only relate to having a simple X,Y value, is there a way I can select all data in an area to be plotted?

So, hypothetically, if I wanted to select columns B - AT and rows 1-9 on excel and plot them on a scatter graph using R, how would I do this?

R doesn't work that way, is not a spreadsheet, in R you have to be more specific with what you are trying to accomplish, so if you want to plot all your columns in one graph you would have to specify what variables you are going to map to which aesthetic attributes and it depends on the structure of your specific dataset.

If you need more specific help please provide a minimal REPRoducible EXample (reprex). A reprex makes it much easier for others to understand your issue and figure out how to help.

If you've never heard of a reprex before, you might want to start by reading this FAQ:

Hi andresrcs,

Ah ok, I'll manipulate the data so.

Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Hi @Grifftapher! Welcome!

Many people have found R for Data Science to be an approachable introduction to how to do basic data manipulation and visualization in R using tools like ggplot2:

There are now a neat set of interactive lessons covering some of the same material here:

There are many (many!) other resources out there too! We have an older thread full of suggestions here.

Hi @jcblum,

Thank you for your advice, it's greatly appreciated! Coincidentally, I bought this book yesterday so given your recommendation as well, I hope it will put me on the right tracks!

Thank you!

1 Like

Good luck! I hope to,see you here asking many more questions :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.