Please allow custom location of .Rproj.user directory

My Uni provides us with Box cloud storage and I use it more-or-less for everything and access files via the Box Drive, which is a virtual caching filesystems. For the most part, this works great as I am automatically synced and backed up across computers. (All mac/osx.)

The problem is with RStudio. I get streams of error messages about file conflicts. Others have noticed this too. I think the problem comes down to the caching of files in the .Rproj.user directory. In a large project where I was having 100's of sync conflict messages, I tried deleting this directory. I suspect it had grown to many 1000's of files because Box was constantly renaming conflicting files. I actually could not delete locally and had to go to the Box cloud web interface and delete it there. After deleting that directory, all of the error messages disappeared. I was able to open the project and work with rmarkdown files without problems.

I am wondering if there could be an option to clear the .Rproj.user directory after each session, or perhaps keep that directory somewhere else in the file system (like /tmp). (I don't think symlinks work in Box Drive.) This could be implemented in the project settings.

T.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.