Please explain the difference between RStudio Cloud, RStudio Connect, and shinyapps.io

I'm struggling to understand what products I should be using. Is there somewhere I can get the comparison between these products (and any others I may have missed)

3 Likes

My quick take:

• shinnyapps.io is a handy tool to quickly deploy your shiny apps on the web. More details at shinyapps.io. There's a free version, so no risks to try it out.
  • RStudio Connect is a publishing platform to share stuff created with R. Think about enterprises/institutions with many users -- data scientist and consumers of data products -- publishing a lot -- reports, plots, dashboards -- and you have issues around authentication, security, scheduling, etc. RStudio connect streamlines all this. More details about RStudio connect.
  • RStudio.cloud (very much alpha as of Feb 2018!) is currently, basically, rstudio-server hosted by rstudio. It's being tested with big stats classes at the moment, and has a lot of potential to be very useful to data scientists.
5 Likes

@EconomiCurtis' answer was good. There's also a table you might find useful here: https://www.rstudio.com/pricing/ Scroll to the bottom. It compares different ways to deploy things you've created with R (shiny apps, r markdown outputs, APIs,...) including shinyapps.io and RStudio Connect. As Curtis said, rstudio.cloud is different - it's the RStudio IDE - but if you have a shinyapps.io account you can use those credentials to try out rstudio.cloud.

2 Likes