Plots not showing on my shiny apps after I migrate from ubuntu version 16 to 18

I have recently migrate my apps to a freshly installed EC2 instance running ubuntu 18.04 LTS, I installed shiny-server, all the packages needed and pulled my apps from github with sudo git pull origin master but for some strange reason that I can't figure out, when I access my apps (both from browser and with runapp()) not any plot it's been shown.

I know the code is not the problem because the apps works well on the older EC2 instance with ubuntu 16, also work on a different debian server, and the plots render normally on rstudio-server running in the same ubuntu 18 instance.

I have checked the logs but no error is reported, where else should I look for the problem?

app log
Attaching package: ‘shinydashboard’

The following object is masked from ‘package:graphics’:

box

── Attaching packages ─────────────────────────────────────── tidyverse 1.2.1 ──
✔ ggplot2 3.1.0     ✔ purrr   0.3.0
✔ tibble  2.0.1     ✔ dplyr   0.7.8
✔ tidyr   0.8.2     ✔ stringr 1.3.1
✔ readr   1.3.1     ✔ forcats 0.3.0
── Conflicts ────────────────────────────────────────── tidyverse_conflicts() ──
✖ dplyr::filter() masks stats::filter()
✖ dplyr::lag()    masks stats::lag()

Attaching package: ‘scales’

The following object is masked from ‘package:purrr’:

discard

The following object is masked from ‘package:readr’:

col_factor

Attaching package: ‘lubridate’

The following object is masked from ‘package:base’:

date

Attaching package: ‘magrittr’

The following object is masked from ‘package:purrr’:

set_names

The following object is masked from ‘package:tidyr’:

extract

Loading required package: extrafont
Registering fonts with R

Attaching package: ‘tibbletime’

The following object is masked from ‘package:stats’:

Attaching package: ‘glue’

The following object is masked from ‘package:dplyr’:

collapse

Listening on http://127.0.0.1:38595

I already tryed:

• Debugging using browser() everything seems to work normally, except that I have no plot outputs.
  • Installing/uninstalling Cairo package.
  • Giving all permissions on the /srv/shiny-server folder sudo chmod -R 777 /srv/shiny-server
  • Debugging using react log package and I can't see this graphs either.
  • I have tryed with the sample app that comes with shiny-server, hello, and this one shows the plots, I don't understand why.

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04, so I can at least run it locally to see if I can see the plots, if that helps.

As to your problem specifically, I'm not sure if I can be of any help.

1 Like

Thanks for your offer, trying to make a reprex for you to run, I noticed a locale issue with the data being fetched from my database (the decimal mark has been changed to "," after establishing the connection), so I gave it a try, and changed my locale back to en_US.UTF-8 (I was ussing es_PE.UTF-8), reinstalled shiny-server and finally it's working.

The lack of error messages has made this issue really hard to debug.

Note: I have used es_PE.UTF-8 locale (a spanish variant) on Ubuntu 16 and I currently use it on a debian server and has worked normally but apparently it's not working correctly on Ubuntu 18.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.