Port Issue running Shiny App on macOS vs Windows

Hi,

My research partners and I are trying to run an app in Shiny that uses the rtweet package to scrape Twitter data. The app functions fine on a Windows machine, but when we try to run the app on macOS, we get an error with the port we're using (port 80):

Listening on http://127.0.0.1:80
Error in initialize(...) : Failed to create server
createTcpServer: permission denied

When we change the port to what we think is the prefered port for macOS (port 1410), the authentication step fails.

Has anyone run into a similar issue?

Just to be sure I understand correctly the issue. The problems you have is creating and serving the shiny app, and then authenticating to Twitter's API?
I'm not sure what is the purpose of scraping Twitter data, check if it is according to the Twitter API policies.

You also do not show, what version of rtweet are you using or how do you authenticate. You seem to be using the user authentication. You should probably use the consumer_key, consumer_secret, access_token , access_secret of your own app to avoid using the browser/user authentication.

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.