Preview 1.2.747 doesn't install in Ubuntu 16.04

When I try to install 1.2.747 in Ubuntu 16.04 I get this:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libclang-dev : Depends: libclang-3.8-dev (>= 3.8~) but it is not going to be installed

libclang-3.8-dev in turn requires other packages that won't be installed. I haven't spent time trying to figure this out but wanted to report the issue. Thanks!

1 Like

We'll take a look. Thanks for reporting!

What happens when you try to explicitly install libclang-dev? That is, what is the output of:

sudo apt install libclang-dev
1 Like

@kevinushey, it worked this time! I tried it the first time and got an error about something else not being installable. But this time it just worked. Either I erred or the attempt to install did something.

Anyway, sorry for the false alarm!

Bob

No worries! Thank you for taking the time to test-drive the preview release and let us know if you bump into any other issues.

I just tried to install on a different machine and ran into the same problem. this has me wondering what fixed it before. Here's the output:

1. libclang-dev doesn't install
sudo apt install libclang-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 libclang-dev : Depends: libclang-3.8-dev (>= 3.8~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
  1. liblcang-3.8-dev doesn't install
sudo apt install libclang-3.8-dev
Building dependency tree       
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
 libclang-3.8-dev : Depends: libobjc-5-dev but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libclang1-3.8 (= 1:3.8-2ubuntu4) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libclang-common-3.8-dev (= 1:3.8-2ubuntu4) but it is not going to be installed
 rstudio : Depends: libclang-dev but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: r-base (>= 2.11.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

The fix: install all at once:

sudo apt install libclang-dev libclang-3.8-dev libclang-common-3.8-dev libclang1-3.8 libobjc-5-dev libobjc4

I'm 98% sure I didn't previously issue the above command on the first machine where I had this problem. At any rate it worked here.

I tried the install-all-at once in Ubuntu 18.04 but get these errors:

sudo apt-get install libclang-dev libclang-3.8-dev libclang-common-3.8-dev libclang1-3.8 libobjc-5-dev libobjc4
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package libclang-3.8-dev
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libclang-3.8-dev'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libclang-3.8-dev'
E: Unable to locate package libclang-common-3.8-dev
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libclang-common-3.8-dev'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libclang-common-3.8-dev'
E: Unable to locate package libclang1-3.8
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libclang1-3.8'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libclang1-3.8'

Note that Ubuntu 18.04 does not provide libclang-3.8-dev (it probably supplies something newer, e.g. libclang-6.0-dev). But just installing libclang-dev should provide you with the 'default' version of libclang for the associated platform.

2 Likes

That worked. Thanks very much.

I'm on ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and tried installing rstudio-server-1.2.1226-amd64.deb, still get

clang-6.0 : Depends: libjsoncpp1 (>= 1.7.4) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libobjc-7-dev but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libclang-common-6.0-dev (= 1:6.0.1~svn334776-1~exp1~20181018152737.116) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libclang1-6.0 (= 1:6.0.1~svn334776-1~exp1~20181018152737.116) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: llvm-6.0-dev but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libomp-dev but it is not going to be installed
rstudio-server : Depends: libclang-dev but it is not going to be installed

I've tried all of the above.

What happens if you try to run

sudo apt --fix-broken install
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.