I decided to edit this post a bit as a lgr cran release is now imminent, and I am still hoping against hope for some feedback ;).
A few weeks ago I started working on lgr, a new logging Package for R as existing solutions didn't really cover my needs. I am aware that there is a plethora of logging Packages already, and quite a few abandoned ones. I can at least promise that yog will not be abandoned anytime soon, as I already started using it in production at work.
Lgr is built on R6 classes and follows a strict mutable-oo paradigm. This is a bit exotic in R, but not totally unheard of. I was hoping for some input from the community, especially which features / appenders you are missing in existing logging solutions.
- Hierarchical loggers like in log4j and python logging.
- An arbitrary number of appenders for each logger
- arbitrarily complex filters for appenders and loggers
- arbitrary data fields for log events
- Wide range of Appenders included (console, file, json, databases, pushbullet, email, memory buffer, ...)
- Optional color support via crayon
Extensive vignette with code examples