Problem in installing Tidyverse

Hi all,

I have been trying to install tidyverse with this line with R studio in Window:

install.packages("tidyverse")

However I keep getting the long error message below. I can see tidyverse source packages was downloaded to D drive of my temp folder but it can never be loaded into my R studio. Just wondering if anyone can help? Thanks.

'\home_drives\tam001v'
CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
UNC paths are not supported. Defaulting to Windows directory.
ERROR: dependencies 'broom', 'dbplyr', 'dtplyr', 'forcats', 'googledrive', 'googlesheets4', 'ggplot2', 'hms', 'httr', 'modelr', 'pillar', 'reprex', 'rstudioapi', 'rvest' are not available for package 'tidyverse'

• removing '\home_drives/tam001v/R/win-library/3.5/tidyverse'
    In R CMD INSTALL
    Warning in install.packages :
    installation of package ‘tidyverse’ had non-zero exit status

It seems you have set your package library into a network folder, R has problems with network drives, you could try mapping the folder as a local unit or set your package library in a local folder.

Thanks for your help Andres. I set the package library in a local folder (‘D:/Users/tam001v/Downloads/R lib’) but I am getting an error message with the tidyverse folder getting removed at the end.

Do I need to remove the network drive path thoroughly in .libPaths() despite it is not the first path on list?

.libPaths()
[1] "D:/Users/tam001v/Downloads/R lib"
[2] "\\home_drives/tam001v/R/win-library/3.5"
[3] "C:/Program Files/R/R-3.5.1/library"

Error message with tidyverse:

'\home_drives\tam001v'
ERROR: dependencies 'callr', 'knitr', 'rmarkdown' are not available for package 'reprex'

• removing 'D:/Users/tam001v/Downloads/R lib/reprex'
    In R CMD INSTALL
    installation of package ‘reprex’ had non-zero exit status
    '\home_drives\tam001v'
    ERROR: dependencies 'broom', 'dbplyr', 'dtplyr', 'googledrive', 'googlesheets4', 'ggplot2', 'hms', 'modelr', 'pillar', 'reprex', 'rvest' are not available for package 'tidyverse'
  • removing 'D:/Users/tam001v/Downloads/R lib/tidyverse'
    In R CMD INSTALL
    installation of package ‘tidyverse’ had non-zero exit status

This suggests you have to set your current working directory in a local folder as well, at least for the installation process.

A possible work around would be to update your R version, that way you could get access to precompiled binaries that are easier to install.

Thanks Andres. I have updated R to 1.3.1093 (as I am using Window 7) and changed the working and library to a local folder. Then I get a different error message as below...

--

• installing source package 'tinytex' ...
    ** package 'tinytex' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
    ** R
    ** inst
    ** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
    Error in loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]) :
    namespace 'xfun' 0.13 is being loaded, but >= 0.23 is required
    ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'tinytex'
  • removing 'D:/Users/tam001v/RStudio/lib/tinytex'
    In R CMD INSTALL
    installation of package ‘tinytex’ had non-zero exit status

Just to clarify, that is your RStudio version, is not the same as your R version, latest R version is 4.1.0 and it can be installed in windows 7.

About the error message, this is asking you to update the xfun package.

install.packages("xfun")

Ah in that case there are quite a few packages I need to update before installing tidyverse packages again. I will see how it goes. Thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.