Problem installing dplyr on RStudio Cloud

I am getting a similar message attempting to install {dplyr} to an project

> install.packages("dplyr", dependencies = FALSE)
Installing package into ‘/home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL ''
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1378766 bytes (1.3 MB)
downloaded 1.3 MB

ERROR: dependencies ‘ellipsis’, ‘assertthat’, ‘glue’, ‘magrittr’, ‘pkgconfig’, ‘R6’, ‘Rcpp’, ‘rlang’, ‘tibble’, ‘tidyselect’, ‘BH’, ‘plogr’ are not available for package ‘dplyr’
* removing ‘/home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/dplyr’
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘dplyr’ had non-zero exit status

The downloaded source packages are in

I have been using for quite some time; installation of {dplyr} (and also {tidyverse}) was working earlier in the week.

You are missing a lot of dependencies so you shouldn't include dependencies = FALSE in your install command.

Good suggestion--I should have added the caveat that I set dependencies = FALSE to see if it changed the behaviour. Leaving it as default (dependencies = TRUE) gets the same result but takes a lot longer to run and produces a lot more history output!

This happens from time to time when a new version of dplyr is out, the reason is that dplyr requires more than 1GB of memory to compile (the current RStudio Cloud memory limit), the way RStudio Cloud addresses this issue is by caching precompiled binaries of the packages but it could take some time for the cache to update to the current dplyr version.


Having the same issue here. As it is shutting us down, any idea when this will be solved?

That must be the source of the trouble--another thing I failed to mention in my "things I failed to mention" is that the dependencies all installed without issue, so it seems to be specifically dplyr.

I am in the same boat--the project is the homework assignment for the course I am teaching!

Is it possible to install the previous version of dplyr, or is it simply a matter of waiting for the cache to update?

I have seen this on the past been solved in a couple of days but I'm not an RStudio employee so I can't give you any trustworthy estimate.

Not that I'm aware of but if you already have a version of dplyr installed on a base project, they could make a copy and work with that.


The "base project" solution is one that I had not considered...and it worked!

I didn't have a base project created, so I

  • set one of the earlier projects (that had dplyr installed, along with most of the other packages) as the base
  • created a new project (which uses the space's base project as the starting point)
  • named the new project "base_project", and deleted all the unnecessary files
  • closed "base_project" and then set it as the base project for the space
  • created a new project, and voila, dplyr is installed

Thanks again!

1 Like

I ran into this issue this afternoon while teaching a workshop for students new to R/Rstudio. My students were able to install tidyverse but got an error that dplyr wouldn't install. They also tried installing dplyr on its own, and that also would not work. I think the "base project" solution proposed above won't work for them, since this is their first project. I'll give the workshop again in April, so I will stay tuned for updates

There is an official walk-around on this related thread

1 Like

Thank you - good to know!

Also, it seems like the problem has already been solved so you should be able now to install as usual

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.