Problem installing packages in general

Hey guys,
I just installed Ubuntu 20.04 OS and begin try to work on R and R studio.
Because Im pretty new to all of this (both linux and R) I installed R following this tutorial (How To Install R on Ubuntu 20.04 | DigitalOcean), updating the repositories, and installed Rstudio via gdebi.
So my problem is that every package that I try to install takes waaaaay too long, some packages more than 10 minutes (when it is even installed). The download turns out to be ok.

This is an extraction of what is happening when I try to install ggplot2 for example

• installing source package ‘colorspace’ ...
    ** package ‘colorspace’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
    ** using staged installation
    ** libs

gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG -fpic -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-tbZjLv/r-base-4.1.0=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -c colorspace.c -o colorspace.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG -fpic -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-tbZjLv/r-base-4.1.0=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -c init.c -o init.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/lib/R/lib -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -o colorspace.so colorspace.o init.o -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR

This kind of message appear to every package that I try to install. In my Windows system all packages go very smoothly, with no problems at all and not taking time.
Have anyone ever dealed with this?

Thanks and regards!

On Windows you have access to precompiled binaries from CRAN, on Linux all packages installed from CRAN must be compiled from source.
You can get precompiled binaries for major Linux distributions from the public RStudio package Manager.

https://packagemanager.rstudio.com/client/#/repos/1/overview

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.