Problem installing vctrs and SixSigma packages

Hello,

I am kinda new to Rstudio, but I need to install a few packages which causes me troubles.

Basically I need to install the package SixSigma, but it seems to require the vctrs package, which I don't understand how to install.

Note : My Rstudio seems to use a weird mix of french and english. So I translated the french part, but it might not be perfect.
I also had to remove most URLs because of new users limitations.

Here is the error when I try loading SixSigma

library(SixSigma);
Erreur : package or namespace load failed for ‘SixSigma’ in loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]):
Package 'vctrs' is not found

Here is what happens when I try installing vctrs

install.packages("vctrs")
WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages but is not currently installed. Please download and install the appropriate version of Rtools before proceeding:

Installing package into ‘C:/Users/User/Documents/R/win-library/4.0’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
Trying URL
Warning in install.packages :
cannot open URL : HTTP status was '404 Not Found'
Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
Cannot open URL
download of package ‘vctrs’ failed

I thought this message meant the download of vctrs failed.
So I tried downloading the file from CRAN manually, then installing it.

I got another error. Here it is (I removed parts of the paths to the file on my computer).

install.packages("~/vctrs_0.3.4.tar.gz", repos = NULL, type = "source")
WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages but is not currently installed. Please download and install the appropriate version of Rtools before proceeding:

• installing source package 'vctrs' ...
    ** package 'vctrs' decompressed and MD5 sums verified
    ** using staged installation
    ** libs

*** arch - i386
Warning in system(cmd) : 'make' not found
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'vctrs'

• removing 'C:/Users/User/Documents/R/win-library/4.0/vctrs'
    installation of package ‘~/vctrs_0.3.4.tar.gz’ had non-zero exit status

From what I understood, the installation does not end, so the program shuts it down.
Is there a way to install the package nontheless?

Again, sorry if this is a classic issue, I don't know much about R, especially about installing packages.

Don't install from source. Very few people need RTools, especially when you're new.

You're ona PC, so this should be the default unless something was changed, but try,

install.packages("vctrs", type = "binary")

And report what happens.

Thanks a lots for your answer.

I am indeed on a PC, I used R a bit a few years ago on another PC, so I only used source when i had no other choices.

I tried your command and I still have an error, here it is (I had to remove the 2 last URLs to post, they were the same as the second one)

I was also told that RTools was not necessary, I won't mess with it until I know more about this problem.

install.packages("vctrs", type = "binary")

https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/Rtools/
Trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/4.0/vctrs_0.3.4.zip'
cannot open URL '': HTTP status was '404 Not Found'
Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
Cannot access URL ''
download of package ‘vctrs’ failed

Ok, so I just found a solution.

I got back to CRAN to download the 0.3.3 version of vctrs, and apparently it worked.

I tried loading SixSigma and did noot get an error, so I think my issue is solved, but I still don't understand why the latest release did not work.

Thanks for your answer !

1 Like

You can follow the link in your browser and see that vctrs is not on cran as expected.
https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/4.0/vctrs_0.3.4.zip
If I was cynical I might suspect a ploy by Rstudio to promote packagemanager

:stuck_out_tongue:

indeed that's a bit weird, especially since the page I donwnloaded it from looks like a part of CRAN
Here is a link : https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/vctrs/index.html

While the error is definetely an add for the manager, I think there is also a problem with version 0.3.4.
I tried downloading it and it still crashed :wink:

But oh well, the previous version seems to work, and I can do with advertisement ^^

Hi, i had probably the same problem with vctrs yesterday, the link for CRAN ended in an error message. However, today it worked perfectly.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.